Ugh. Bottle Bombs. Sierra Nevada Bottles Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I ever broke an SN bottle was because I didn't seat the grippers on the neck before squeezing. I gorilla'd the capper & broke the neck of a filled bottle. DOOOOH! so from now on,I seat the grippers onto the neck of the bottle before squeezing. I talk about this in my bottling video. I also have some 40 SN stubbies I've been trying to give away as pick ups. No luck yet,& most are de-labeled. They come with half a bag of gold caps & a blow off jug. Free to a good home,since I collected up some other bottles I like better. Classifieds just don't work in this case.

I'd take em if i were nearby, I"m trying to replace all my bottles with SN stubbies :mug:

The bottles aren't causing the bombs, you're over carbonating. Probably not enough for normal temperatures but at 102.... Yeah good luck.

If you want bottles with easy labels to take off, Dogfish Head is one of the easiest IMO. Soak them for an hour or two in hot water. The labels slide right off and you can rub the glue right off.

Someone mentioned Anchor bottles too. The labels come off easily but I've always had problems capping them. They'll cap but my capper always leaves a dent in the top for some reason. I never noticed any leakage but just to be safe I stopped using them.

Head out to your homebrew shop and pick up a couple cases of 22 oz bottles. Bottling with those takes much less time. Make sure you bottle a few 12 oz bottles though too for testing.

Back