overhopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangermouse

Reaction score
the kit said steep the hop pellets for 15min

i boiled for 15 min instead

i tasted it after 3 weeks (i primary and 2 secondry)
and it didnt taste good ....well too much hop taste.....so what did i do!!
accidentley mixed up the hops i was boiling to add to another batch
and added it to this instead........now ive not tasted it yet but do u think ive ruined it!:(

Is this two seperate batches? In any event, if you have already added the hops, you cannot now extract them. It should mellow with "time in a bottle". :)

You didn't say what kind of beer it was.

If it is a pale beer you could always make a Radler, half-beer half-something- Sprite-like.

If it's a dark beer, a Russian, same thing mixed with a cola of your choice.

Or you could always mix it with a sweeter beer to balance the hops bitterness.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
You didn't say what kind of beer it was.

If it is a pale beer you could always make a Radler, half-beer half-something- Sprite-like.

If it's a dark beer, a Russian, same thing mixed with a cola of your choice.

Or you could always mix it with a sweeter beer to balance the hops bitterness.:D
....lol its supposed to be a lager..........i didnt think of mixing it with cordial lol..........i could have lager and lime haha

Buncha guys on this board would probably buy the whole batch off you.... give it some time... you'll have beer.

Is this kit using prehopped extract? Otherwise you'll need to boil the hops to bitter the beer. Bittering hops are usually boiled for 60 minutes to maximize the bittering effect, boiling hops for 15 minutes adds minimal bitterness, almost all aroma. I don't think there'd be much difference between steeping the hops for 15 minutes and boiling them. In fact boiling tends to cook off some grassy flavors, this is why I prefer not to add a lot of hops at flame out (to let them steep while I cool the wort).

If it's the aroma or the bitterness that's bothering you (or both) don't worry about it, they'll lessen after a month or more in the bottle.

Sasquatch said:
Buncha guys on this board would probably buy the whole batch off you.... give it some time... you'll have beer.

No, selling home brew is illegal.

Selling hops, yeast, water, malt and barley isn't. If he's offering up a free "Ready-To-Drink Home Brew Kit", then yes, there are many takers here.

Shame it is illegal to sell home brew. I am already at a point that I could sell everything I make. I have several people that are going to start up the hobby. Should have some good exchanges.

Latest posts

Back