First Batch Bottle at 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryolla

Reaction score
I started my first batch on Dec 30, BB american amber with S-05 yeast that started bubbling at 12 hours and now has stopped. I wanted to bottle this next sunday and test a bottle every week starting on the 18th which will be around 3 weeks. How does this sound. Also thanks to this board and How to brew book I think I am off to a good start on home brewing. I started Apelfwein and my wife is complaining about the known rino fart smell. My first experience was interesting, sanitized the bucket then rinsed with tap water don't ask my why I will never do it again. Also topped off with tap water which I will never do again. Ohh well RDWHACB. Next batch will be a hefe and a misty wine kit for the wife.

sounds like a plan to me, from what i hear its a good idea to try a beer each week to see how the carbonation works.

But don't judge it, and don't start an "is something wrong with my beer?" thread if it's not carbed or if it tastes funny, or you get a stomach ache....Then we'll just tell you to leave the beer alone for 2 more weeks, and that your beer is green...

But don't judge it, and don't start an "is something wrong with my beer?" thread if it's not carbed or if it tastes funny, or you get a stomach ache....Then we'll just tell you to leave the beer alone for 2 more weeks, and that your beer is green...

yeah you don't have to worry about me starting a whats wrong with my beer thread and I don't think I will get a stomach ache from one beer. I just want to see what green beer tast like and the progression to good beer but if its taste good I can't promise I will just have 1 beer. The book states just 10 days for fermentation but the consensus here on the board is 3-4 weeks in the primary.

The first brew i ever made i cracked on week 2, i then made another 5 brews with corrections to fix the green beer taste... by week 6 the beer was fine and now i have 5 variants that all taste good but with modifications they never needed.
I learn't more from each brew but i would have made a fine brew just the same without changing a thing

y...and I don't think I will get a stomach ache from one beer..

That's what SHE though as well....

I went ahead and put that 4 day old beer in the freezer and drank it.

I was expecting total ****e and was surprised the first glass had some bubbles and wasn't as cloudy as I expected. Definitely not ready of course.

Then came the massive stomach ache :(

I'm just saying....:D

And yeah, I'm sorta the grandfater of the 3-4 weeks consensus...you will find your beer vastly improves if you do it...

Is something wrong with my beer? I used to have 50 bottles and now there's only two left. What gives?:mug:

Is something wrong with my beer? I used to have 50 bottles and now there's only two left. What gives?:mug:

Nothing wrong with the beer...just the brewer by neglecting their duties to have brew a fully stocked pipeline. :D

(I've brewed 4 times in the last 2 weeks since I was off, to get ahead of the pipeline.) It never seems to be enough though. As you know.

:mug:

You said it man, there's never enough beer. I've got two cases of ESB and two cases of IPA that will be ready to drink in a few more days. I've got a Mocha Porter that has been in primary for 3 weeks, a Steam I brewed on friday, and an American Red I brewed today. I've also got a fridge full of Sierra Nevada PA, and a few Victory Hop Devils kicking around. Does this mean I have a problem, doctor?

and a few Victory Hop Devils kicking around. Does this mean I have a problem, doctor?

I go to Victory brewery all the time, I am drinking their lager watching the eagles spank the vikings. My wife works like 5 minutes from there and refills my growler.

And yeah, I'm sorta the grandfater of the 3-4 weeks consensus...you will find your beer vastly improves if you do it...

Is that 4 days after frementation stops. Mine will be 2 weeks. I plan on filling a 16oz plastic coke bottle. Squezzing it till there is no more o2 and as it carbs it will pop it back in place and if it is hard then I know it has enough co2 then I will drink it.

Give it three weeks in the primary before bottling. Then give it 5 weeks to condition. If you don't then both Revvy and I will say "told you so". I'm not trying to be mean or make you wait for good beer..... ya, I want you to wait for good beer.

I thought it was 3-4 weeks in primary then straight to keg and start serving. Are you saying 8 weeks until serving or is that just bottles? Thanks

Just bottles. I thought it was Revvy that had a video link in his sig concerning bottle conditioning but I dont see it now. He does have a nice explanation about it in his profile you could read. The short of it is, although carbonation may be up to pressure in three weeks or so it takes longer for it to fully saturate the beer which prevents bottle geysers and gives good carbonation after filling your glass. If you are kegging and have fermented for 3 and cold crashed for 1 then kegged it is drinkable as soon as its force carbonated. It will still taste better if you give kegged beer a couple more weeks also but it is not as important. Carbonation does affect taste so if its not properly carbonated then it will taste off anyway.

Just bottles. I thought it was Revvy that had a video link in his sig concerning bottle conditioning but I dont see it now. He does have a nice explanation about it in his profile you could read. The short of it is, although carbonation may be up to pressure in three weeks or so it takes longer for it to fully saturate the beer which prevents bottle geysers and gives good carbonation after filling your glass. If you are kegging and have fermented for 3 and cold crashed for 1 then kegged it is drinkable as soon as its force carbonated. It will still taste better if you give kegged beer a couple more weeks also but it is not as important. Carbonation does affect taste so if its not properly carbonated then it will taste off anyway.

It's parked in Stone Cold (now un)locked noob thread....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

I could sig line it I guess...then what would I do with all the nifty quotes? :D

Thanks I didn't know co2 affects the taste of beer that much. I thought as long as the plastic bottle is hard, enough co2 has gotten in and it is ready to drink. Good think I will have my keg ready by the time my second batch is ready.

Heyyyy! No fair! I think I have an allergy to the CORN!

I HOPE I only had a stomach ache because it was green!

I bottled a 12 pack today after 2 weeks in the primary. Put the rest in a corny keg. I put about 3/4 tsp priming sugar in each bottle and used an auto siphon, hose and bottling wand but got some sugar/beer solution stuck in the wand. So I took off the wand and just used the hose to pour the beer in the bottle. I like using a keg better than bottling and the beer tastes awesome FG is .010 Hopefully it will be ready by superbowl weekend. This weekend I'm brewing my AHS hefe and blue moon clone

Back