5 best american breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
budbo said:
Also keep in mind what you grow up on determines your tastes..If you grow up on Coors.. then any medium to full bodied beer is going to become an acquired taste.
I am proof of that! i did grow up on Coors and now I have acquired a taste for beers with more flavor.
Oh by the way- I still enjoy an ice cold Coors on a really hot day. Great thirst quencher!

Well everybody in conclusion i want to say that everybodys opinion is valid and that i am sure that what i drink would taste like urine to a lot of people so i will no longer critisise American beers becuase i am sure there are good beers from America. in fact if anyone could please help correct my ignorance please help

Brewers United said:
Well everybody in conclusion i want to say that everybodys opinion is valid and that i am sure that what i drink would taste like urine to a lot of people so i will no longer critisise American beers becuase i am sure there are good beers from America. in fact if anyone could please help correct my ignorance please help

Try something from breweries like Sierra Nevada, Stone, Anchor, Rogue, Bear Republic, Russian River, New Belgium, Sprecher, Lienenkugels (sp?), Bells, Goose Island, Trogues, Lancaster, Smuttynose, Ommegang, Dogfish Head, Victory, Old Dominion, St George, etc. etc........

A couple of mine are local, so I'm kinda partial.

Freestate (Lawrence KS, Copperhead Pale ale)
Boulevard (Kansas City MO,or KS, not real sure Zon and Unfiltered Wheat)
Breckenridge Brewery (Breckenridge CO, Avalanche and Oatmeal Stout)
Tommy Knocker (????? Colorado, I've liked all that I've tried from here)
Petes Wicked (??????)

Here's some of my favorites ...

Victory
Weyerbacher
Dogfish Head
Brooklyn
and with post mortem honors, Rhino Chaser

Honorable mention for cheep friggin' beer that actually tastes respectable, Lionshead. $8 a case!

Brewers United said:
RichBrewer. I agree. there is a lot of good beers. And there probably is a few good American beer but the beer from America I have tried such as Budweiser, Boston Beers, Red Hook Ale brewery etc havent been really all that great so I agrre that there may be a few good beers from America I just have been put of American beer by a few bad ones.

Sorry Brewers, this is really ignorant of the current state of American beers. For some reason, people still like to say America has crappy beers but that hasn't been true for almost 20 years. We still have the crappy ones (and so does every other country on Earth...the masses must have their crappy beer) but we have more examples of good beer than crappy.

At this point, America has a greater diversity, range of styles, and sheer number of good beers produced in our country than any other country (and I would guess all other countries put together). Including Australia. Including Britain. Including Belgium.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't beers produced out of the states that are unmatched...there definitely are. But no other country is enjoying a beer renaissance like the US where you have such diversity and creativity displayed by the current craft brewing industry. Most countries are moving away from their traditional brewing techniques. We are embracing everyone's traditional techniques and creating many of our own.

It's a GREAT time to be a beer drinker in America. You couldn't try all the good ones in a year without quitting your job. To still claim America has lesser beer than other countries...especially AUSTRALIA of all places...is a tired old claim that is no longer anywhere near the truth.

Cheers :D

we dont import crap...whats worse drinking a coors in colorodo or a bud-light in germany? or drinking a sam adams in boston or a busch light in london?

im not a beer snob, ill drink coors, or busch or mgd...id prefer a pilsner urquel though or a budvar...

Janx said:
At this point, America has a greater diversity, range of styles, and sheer number of good beers produced in our country than any other country (and I would guess all other countries put together)
That seems a little gingoistic Janx - and as you've already said a guess! I'm not wrong if i suggested the Percentage of Americans who haven't tasted a decent quality US Beer is far higher than the amount of Germans who haven't had a decent quality German Beer - just purely by brewery to population statistics! ;)

The real problem seems to be most quality (smaller micro brewery) American beers just don't make it into the rest of the World (or even the whole of America). Some Sierra Nevada and Rogue Ales make it into the UK for example - They are good but don't outshine other similarly well made European brews. I just wish the smaller US Brewers could put their products out further a field.

I think it's a little unfair to judge any aspect of American culture on what's popular in the country. There is a large segment of the US which is made up of mindless sheep who drink a certain beer because of the funny commercial, listen to a certain musician because it's being played on the radio alot, or buy a certain brand of electronics because it's white and makes you look cool.

I think in the past ten years American beer and wines have begun to overcome the negative affects caused by prohibition and are slowing starting to gain respect. I've only been to Europe once and I do remember running across some brews that I had not heard of, most of which turned out to be mass produced crap like what the big US breweries make. I think part of the reason Europe tends to appear to have better beers is that the European beers that get imported into the US tend to be the higher quality ones, while the American beers that make it to Europe tend to be the larger commercial ones.

Caplan said:
That seems a little gingoistic Janx - and as you've already said a guess! I'm not wrong if i suggested the Percentage of Americans who haven't tasted a decent quality US Beer is far higher than the amount of Germans who haven't had a decent quality German Beer - just purely by brewery to population statistics! ;)

Well, I hope you'll agree we're both speculating. After all *someone* is drinking all the beers made by all these microbreweries in America. So there is quite a bit of interest. So, I think it's a bit of a stereotype to say that all Americans are boorish Budweiser drinkers while all Germans are educated beer drinkers.

And doe sGermany really have more breweries per capita than America now? I'd honestly be suprised if you aren't basing that supposition on the 1980's state of American beer. There are a LOT of breweries here. There are 8 or so in my county of a couple hundred thousand people. A lot of good beer per capita by anyone's estimation.

Caplan said:
The real problem seems to be most quality (smaller micro brewery) American beers just don't make it into the rest of the World (or even the whole of America). Some Sierra Nevada and Rogue Ales make it into the UK for example - They are good but don't outshine other similarly well made European brews. I just wish the smaller US Brewers could put their products out further a field.

Why is that a problem? It seems that we are returning to the times when a regional craft brewer supplied his region (not his country, let alone the whole world) with beer. That's a tradition that much of Europe has lost because they took it for granted. Europe has seen a huge movement toward conglomerates and corporate brews and away from small craft brews while we have done just the opposite in the past 20 years. It's one of the great thing about the current American craft brewing phenomena. I wouldn't expect American craft brews to compete with UK fresh brews after travelling across the Atlantic under who knows what conditions. And I'll tell you, the vast majority of British beers we get over here don't hold a candle to what I could get at any of 20 pubs in Northern California, for probably the same reasons. Beer is a fresh product, and to drink your own quality regional brews is a good thing as far as I am concerned. If you want to taste em, come and get em ;)

All I know is that America has New Belgium, Ommagang, Stone, Moylans, Magic Hat, etc etc all under one roof. Considering that these days it's easier to find a craft brewed Belgian beer here than in Belgium, I'd say the general American awareness of beer may be a little more attuned than you seem to suggest. I guarantee you can't get anything like a LOT of what is brewed here domestically in the UK, for example. We have a dizzying diversity of styles, and it just keeps getting better.

Janx said:
I wouldn't expect American craft brews to compete with UK fresh brews after travelling across the Atlantic under who knows what conditions.

This is a very important point when it comes to exporting beer. Unless you are a huge corporation with lots of money to ensure that your product is delivered how you want it, you will have very little control of transporation. Needless to say, this would be a big problem for any microbrewery.

Janx said:
Well, I hope you'll agree we're both speculating.
Agreed!:D
Janx said:
After all *someone* is drinking all the beers made by all these microbreweries in America. So there is quite a bit of interest. So, I think it's a bit of a stereotype to say that all Americans are boorish Budweiser drinkers while all Germans are educated beer drinkers.
And doe sGermany really have more breweries per capita than America now? I'd honestly be suprised if you aren't basing that supposition on the 1980's state of American beer. There are a LOT of breweries here. There are 8 or so in my county of a couple hundred thousand people. A lot of good beer per capita by anyone's estimation.
There's MANY Americans drinking microbrewery Beer - I SAY GOOD! I wish more Americans could/would. Beats the Yellow/brown/black Urine thats mass produced GLOBALLY! The stereotype you mention was aimed purely at the fact most People DON'T have access to great Local Breweries across the wider world. You mention 8 in your County alone. I doubt the same level of density (or quality) can be extended out across the whole US OR Europe.

Janx said:
Why is that a problem?
I'D LIKE TO TASTE A FEW!:D

Janx said:
It seems that we are returning to the times when a regional craft brewer supplied his region (not his country, let alone the whole world) with beer. That's a tradition that much of Europe has lost because they took it for granted. Europe has seen a huge movement toward conglomerates and corporate brews and away from small craft brews while we have done just the opposite in the past 20 years. It's one of the great thing about the current American craft brewing phenomena. I wouldn't expect American craft brews to compete with UK fresh brews after travelling across the Atlantic under who knows what conditions. And I'll tell you, the vast majority of British beers we get over here don't hold a candle to what I could get at any of 20 pubs in Northern California, for probably the same reasons. Beer is a fresh product, and to drink your own quality regional brews is a good thing as far as I am concerned. If you want to taste em, come and get em ;)

All I know is that America has New Belgium, Ommagang, Stone, Moylans, Magic Hat, etc etc all under one roof. Considering that these days it's easier to find a craft brewed Belgian beer here than in Belgium, I'd say the general American awareness of beer may be a little more attuned than you seem to suggest. I guarantee you can't get anything like a LOT of what is brewed here domestically in the UK, for example. We have a dizzying diversity of styles, and it just keeps getting better.
Unfortunately European Beer has been bought out by Big Corporations in pursuit of Profit. History repeats itself. American Craft Brewers beware. Share Holders take note....:D

abarilla said:
This is a very important point when it comes to exporting beer. Unless you are a huge corporation with lots of money to ensure that your product is delivered how you want it, you will have very little control of transporation. Needless to say, this would be a big problem for any microbrewery.

and it has to be stripped of all its goodness and pasteurized, ughhh....

janx and others-i'm glad people have turned to their local breweries to get their beer. not only do you get a fresher product made by someone you can actually go talk to, it's a small step towards a more sustainable society thats not feinding for its next hit of oil. DRINK LOCALLY. if only people would do this with their food...cheers to terroir

(i do admit to wanting to try beers from far and away though.)

on another note, while I am particularly proud of american craft brewing, with its incredible creativity and massive range of styles (something that could only happen in the new world), and i tend to stick my nose up at beers that have to be pasteurized and shipped thousands of miles to get here, it IS hard to compete with people that have been brewing the same stuff for 400 years. you tend to know a thing or two about your recipe after the first 100 (i would imagine at least), and youre probably pretty damn good at brewing it. hence the fact that in my bock class the german bocks were all much better than american ones.

Caplan said:
Agreed!:D

There's MANY Americans drinking microbrewery Beer - I SAY GOOD! I wish more Americans could/would. Beats the Yellow/brown/black Urine thats mass produced GLOBALLY! The stereotype you mention was aimed purely at the fact most People DON'T have access to great Local Breweries across the wider world. You mention 8 in your County alone. I doubt the same level of density (or quality) can be extended out across the whole US OR Europe.

unfortuantely theres still many who prefer yellow fizz to a nice full ale, but theres those all over the world, such as all those in europe who drink european produced yellow fizz. while i bet its hard to find a brewpub in the middle of a corn field in nebraska, the same goes for everywhere else in the world, as you mentioned. so those of us who do live close to breweries (4 within 3 miles of where i sit right now, 7 within 50 miles), be thankful. for those who don't, thats why we homebrew. lets just be glad that MOST of us aren't drinking yellow fizz.

LOL, well i can still lower myself to drink a mass produced beer. the funny thing is 1 guy started to upset the apple cart and lots of guys are ready to argue about a matter of taste and in the same breath do they do same thing. which when you really get down to it, is a vailed insult, otherwise why get upset by it?

it's just plain self agrandizing to carry on about your developed taste buds and the poor ignorant masses who suffer the burdens of drinking beer from a can. frankly, don't sound like real beer drinkers and by that i mean real guys, sound more wine snobs.

well, not trying to rile anyone up but when you point a finger there's 3 pointing back at you.

mik said:
LOL, well i can still lower myself to drink a mass produced beer. the funny thing is 1 guy started to upset the apple cart and lots of guys are ready to argue about a matter of taste and in the same breath do they do same thing. which when you really get down to it, is a vailed insult, otherwise why get upset by it?

it's just plain self agrandizing to carry on about your developed taste buds and the poor ignorant masses who suffer the burdens of drinking beer from a can. frankly, don't sound like real beer drinkers and by that i mean real guys, sound more wine snobs.

well, not trying to rile anyone up but when you point a finger there's 3 pointing back at you.

I think if you read more posts on this forum even the self-proclaimed "beer snobs" (myself included) will have no problem cracking open a High Life from a can when the situation warrants. But for you to come in and assume something completely different is out of line, IMHO.

I think even the thread starter was eventually convinced otherwise after he read some of the posts. He wasn't flamed, he wasn't baited into a fight. He got called out by a few people who are knowledgeable about American beer. It isn't a coincidence that craft beer is growing quickly. The general public can still suck down the BMC but it isn't a crime to want something more from your beer.

Hmm...I agree with all of you, which I think has to do with the fact that you all basically agree. America has many, many quality beers, and in fact, in certain parts of the country there are much better beers to drink fresh than imports, which suffer some in the trip. It's one great thing about this country. But in some parts of the country it's hard to find these beers. When all is said and done, have a homebrew, and remember that your favorites are what inspired it.
Mine are:

Sierra Nevada, mainly because of the Bigfoot,
Rouge,
Bells,
New Belgium, they're solid and readily available here,
Odell, just because I think they deserve a shout out, but many, many of the others mentioned here are beers I enjoy. The rest I can't find.

Brewers United said:

It is really difficult to get quality American beers in Australia. The only Sam Adams that I know of making it through is the Boston Lager :( .

Recently an enterprising distributor in Fremantle, WA has started to bring Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in. I know of a couple of places to get it in Adelaide, so I am sure a big smoke like Melbourne would have it somewhere. Not the freshest of brews though, it comes to us as a reimport from the UK :confused:

However, if you want to get a handle on the American Pale Ale style BU, your local Dan Murphys should have both Little Creatures Pale Ale and Mountain Goat Hightail Pale Ale. Both of these are probably very restrained and moderate compared to the hop monsters some US craft brewers produce, but they are equally very different from your favoured VB. There is a world beyond Pride of Ringwood ;)

The good ole USofA probably has the most exciting and dynamic beer scene in the world at the moment, to fob it all off as urine on the basis of the megaswill selection we get in Oz is, well it just ain't cricket mate!!

Well, for my money, I've never had a better (non-homebrewed) beer than those served at McNeil's Brewpub in Brattleboro, VT. It's a little obscure, but this bar should really be up towards the top of any beer lover's "must get to" list. There are always ten or more beers on tap, usually including three or more "cask" ales. My favorite is the ESB, but the Duck's Breath Bitter is very popular also. His Alletage Alt, his brown ales, Black Lager, Bucksnort Barleywine, Firehouse Amber, and Bignose Blonde round out the list of regular beers on tap. The list is always in flux, however, changing with the seasons and with the whims of brewmaster Ray McNeil. In recent years, bottled versions of his beer have been sold in VT and MA, but there really is no substitute for going to the source and getting it fresh. I really do think this might be the best beer in the country, at least.

abarilla said:
... and with post mortem honors, Rhino Chaser...
Oh, man! There's a name I'd completely forgotten! They were poised to be as big as Sam Adams. Whatever happened to them?!:confused:

To Janx, I believe that a lot microbrewries around the world that easily out strip many of their mass producing counter parts. This is just down to personal taste. I will agree that Australia isnt awarded for its mass beer (like that sludge called fosters) but I believe that it is very hard to make a good beer. I agree there is **** beer all across the world Asia, Europe, America, Australasia).

McNiells Brewery -Brattleboro, VT:rockin:

Ommegang-Cooperstown, NY:drunk:

Sierra Neveda -Chico, CA:mug:

North Coast Brewing -Fort Bragg, CA :cross:

Anchor Brewing, Co -San Francisco, CA

I've been reading a lot of interesting opinions here. Good interaction.

True, good beers, as well as bad beers, can be found all over the world.

We all have our preferences as well as our dislikes. Those decisions are based upon many factors.

In the end there is no #1 best beer in the world that EVERYONE would like. If it were true then there would be a King of Beers (and IMHO, it would not be Buttwiper).

When you really think about it...the best beer is the one you're having right now!:D :drunk:

I would list these 5 in no particular order: Great Lakes, Saranac, Brooklyn, Penn Brewery, and Goose Island. All of these make some fine brews and Great Lakes has one of the best porters I've ever had. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:mug:

I noticed this thread. I am Australian but originally from England. Even though I have not tasted many beers I must say that the few I have drunk have been quite good. TMy favourite would have to be the Bostom Brewery.

How about the state of Oregon?

surprised i dont see more Full Sail, Rogue, Deschutes, Widmer Brothers, or Pyramid. mmm the Northwest :mug:

revans618 said:
I would list these 5 in no particular order: Great Lakes, Saranac, Brooklyn, Penn Brewery, and Goose Island. All of these make some fine brews and Great Lakes has one of the best porters I've ever had. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:mug:

I always pick up some of their beers when I'm in Minnesota. I like their regular Ale in the blue bottle. yummy.

tie: Lakefront / New Glarus
Sprecher
Bells
Three Floyds
Goose Island

rockies:
Moab Brewery takes the ribbon

westcoast:
Deschutes takes the ribbon

Lakefront...I guess you have to go through a few brewery tours and meet the owners/brewers...but if you drink their beer that suffices!

Brewpastor said:
How much does one's local effect their choice? Do locals get the nod more then folks out there?

I believe they do...at least in my case.

If I were to go to the store after work and pick up five brands they would be:

1. Highland Brewing Gaelic ale (I can't wait for their Cold Mountain Ale this winter)
2. Foothills Brewing a growler of each Double IPA and Maibock(local brewpub)
3. Rogue Dead Guy
4. Mc Ewans IPA
and something light like
5. Harpoons UFO

Speaking of Oregon beers. I'll jump in. This is SO hard to narrow it down, There are probably hundreds of brewery's withing 100miles of me.

1) Rouge (Newport, OR) (Dead Guy Ale, this should be a staple in everyones fridge. For those who can get it, their HazelNut Brown Nectar is AMAZING. I am usualy do not like flavored beers, but that is one you must try.)

2) Deschutes Brewery (Bend, OR), if you haven't gone to the brewery itself in bend, going there for a beer, or 9 ;), is worth the trip. Having a Bond Street Brown, tapped on nitro, is where it is at.

3) Mac & Jacks Brewery (Redmond, WA), African Amber...Yum.

4) McMenamins (Portland, OR) -- They get on here, for Pub's that range from an Elementry School, converted to a pub, to old farm houses, turned into hotels and pubs. Their brew ain't bad either.

#5, I really can't descide. There are a ton of great really small brewery's around here. I really don't know if I can pick form some of the really small places.

Back