Amber Ale Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanick

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a 5 gal batch of amber ale this weekend but before I commit to anything I'd like to get some input on the recipe.

2-row pale malt 10#
caramel 10L .25#
caramel 40L .5#
caramel 60L 1#
carapils .25#
honey 1#

cascade 1oz 45min
cascade .5oz 15min
cascade 0min

Will probably use WLP001 California Ale yeast. I'm shooting for an OG of 1.059. i added the honey to boost the ABV but I'm not set on the honey at all.

Any input would be great.

are you going for a hoppy amber? This will have a fair amount of hop flavor. If you want it malt forward you should cut out the 15minute addition and the 0 addition. Thats also a fair amount of caramel malt, might want to leave the pound of 60L, get rid of the 40 and 10L and add it a small amount of black patent to darken the color and add a little roastyness. the 60L will take care of the caramel, toastyness.

Do you know your efficiency? Assuming 75% that will probably end up a bit heavy for the style, but overall it should be fine IMO.

are you going for a hoppy amber? This will have a fair amount of hop flavor. If you want it malt forward you should cut out the 15minute addition and the 0 addition. Thats also a fair amount of caramel malt, might want to leave the pound of 60L, get rid of the 40 and 10L and add it a small amount of black patent to darken the color and add a little roastyness. the 60L will take care of the caramel, toastyness.

Yeha, I am. I love hoppy beers. i did the math and the IBUs are in the range (high side) for the style. I'll take out 40 and 10L out, but I'm kinda going for a lighter colored amber and I'm afraid the black patent will darken it too much. Is there any other malt that could be added that would n't darken it so much? Maybe biscuit?

Do you know your efficiency? Assuming 75% that will probably end up a bit heavy for the style, but overall it should be fine IMO.

I think I did it with about 77, but it would probably be lower than that, like 70%-ish.

Back