Waterproofing my sensitive probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohrinet

Reaction score
Just picked up a Johnson Controls a419. I've read that the probes are not waterproof and I would like to have it sit in a liquid buffer to help keep temperature readings accurate. I've looked around, but I'm curious as to how you might have waterproofed your probe.

Any (cheap) ideas?

Any (cheap) ideas?

Ha, why go cheap with your "sensitive" probe? :D

Sure, I waterproofed my probe with a little silicone wrapped in electrical heat shrink tubing. Others have threaded the probe and wire through aquarium air tubing with a couple of o-rings on the end to secure the tube.

sometimes i wonder about myself. i was able to rig up a (usb powered!) stir plate and made my own stir bar, but didn't think of airline tubing...

ugh, i disgust myself.

my preferred solution seems to be airline tubing and silicone sealant on the tip of my probe. a little combo meal from your two suggestions.

Ha, why go cheap with your "sensitive" probe? :D

Sure, I waterproofed my probe with a little silicone wrapped in electrical heat shrink tubing. Others have threaded the probe and wire through aquarium air tubing with a couple of o-rings on the end to secure the tube.

I have seen people do that with the cheap digital thermometers that they sell at Target . Never seen the bulb prob done that way .But you learn something new everyday

just use a latex condom...:)

errr...

one time i was looking for a some sporting equipment and decided to go to dicks.com to see what they had. turns out the real website is dickssportinggoods.com.

i just did a search for "liquid latex" on google...and i'm wondering if there is such a product that is food safe...and not just wearable (and kinky).

where to get this liquid latex you speak of without getting odd looks. it's not halloween quite yet.

wait wait wait...what part of the probe am i worried about waterproofing. i've just read a long post about using the airline tubing and o-ring trick. i also read in another thread that some of the probes (that is, not the cable) are just water resistant.

i feel like an idiot...

is it safe to assume that the probe (again, the tip, bulb, whatever) is water proof and it is the cable, and the joint that needs to be protected?

I took a long piece of tube and slid the probe halfway in. I then folded the tube and tied both ends together outside the liquid I used as a buffer. That way I don't have to worry about sealing around the probe.

Latest posts

Back