Used equipment purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAbrewer

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was a good purchase or not, but a guy sold me his kegging equipment setup and most of his other old brewing equipment for $200. Most of it had been sitting in his garage for 10+ years, and cleaning it up has been a chore, but there seems to be some good stuff under all that dirt. What I got was as follows:

1 refrigerator with a hole in the door for a tap, and the shank, tap handle, and spout to go with it. The refrigerator itself is ugly as homemade sin, but it does work and it is nice to have all the fittings for a kegerator should I decide to buy something more attractive in the future. I think I may purchase a new handle to replace the beat up old wooden Michelob tap handle the guy had, but it will do for now.

6 Cornelius kegs, ball lock type. Several of them had 10+ year old beer which smelled like an elephant's backside, and it has taken several washes to get rid of the stench. Some of them are a little dinged up, but all the parts seem to be there. I replaced a couple of the more foul-smelling o-rings, and will probably eventually replace them all. There is also a beer side tap line that connects to the tap for the kegerator.

1 empty 20 pound CO2 tank. Not sure how old it was or how long it had been since it had been inspected. I ended up exchanging it for a tank from the LHBS for $25. The replacement tank actually looks a little inferior to the one I had, but as long as it has CO2 in it I'm fine with it. It also has a gas line connection and a rather cheap looking gas gauge that I will probably replace eventually. But it all seems to be in working order.

1 glass carboy, 6 gallons. Dirty, dusty, but nothing a little oxyclean and elbow grease can't handle.

1 bench style bottle capper

1 bottle tree, holds about 81 bottles.

1 Complete Joy of Homebrewing book, circa 1991.

5 and a half cases of old beer bottles. Dirty, spidery, cobwebby, but I'll probably clean them out and use them, give them away, or sell them. The guy that sold them thinks they might be returnable, but who knows.

1 bottling bucket. Barely worth keeping, I'll probably clean it and use it for sanitizing bottles and such.

Several wing-style cappers, airlocks, other miscellaneous stuff. If possible I might post some pics later. Let me know what you think, good or bad.

That's kind of what I thought, too. The kegs and CO2 tank were the main things I wanted. A lot of the other junk I already had. In fact, I'll probably end up giving some of it away, probably to someone else who's interested in getting started in the hobby. Oh, and on kind of a funny note that I forgot to mention: the guy also had some old kits with grains and liquid malt extracts in cans. Ants had gotten to the grain, and one of the cans was literally bulging at the ends. Needless to say I told him he could keep that. He did have one can of extract that looked ok which I took, but I really don't think I'll be taking chances with it either. Saving a few bucks is not worth risking botulism poisoning. And even if it did turn out to be safe, somehow I doubt that 10 year old malt extract would taste very good.

Back