Off-flavors produced after a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
So I have a Stone IPA clone with WLP002 English Ale Yeast.
I keep my carboy in an igloo cooler with an insulation foam top. I put water in it with an aquarium heater hooked up to a Johnson Digital Controller with the probe in a thermowell measuring the core temp of the beer. I put frozen water bottles in the water to keep it cool if needed.

I pitched at 63degrees with a 2L starter and it was off and going only 5hours later.
I kept it at 66-67degrees for the first 3 days and then visual fermentation slowed down and the krausen pretty much completely fell back in.
Then I let it rise to 68 for a day, then 69 and then 70 degrees.
So after 6 days it was at 70 and I had to go away for the weekend.
I came back 2 days later and it had gone all the way up to 79degrees.
I have it back down to 72degrees and will let it finish around 70-72 for another week before I transfer and dry hop.

My concern is this is the first time I have used WLP002 so I'm not familiar with it and what kind of off flavors it may produce.
Now 79 is pretty damn high for most yeasts to get a clean fermentation, but if it rose that high a week after fermentation was at a stable temperature will it still produce a lot of off flavors?

Probably not. If the yeasts burned up most of the sugars before the temperature spike, you should be mostly ok. That being said, English Ale yeast produces more fruity esters (banana, clove) flavors when allowed to ferment warm. You'll notice these when you take your first taste. This isn't out of style with a lot of English style ales.

Probably not. If the yeasts burned up most of the sugars before the temperature spike, you should be mostly ok. That being said, English Ale yeast produces more fruity esters (banana, clove) flavors when allowed to ferment warm. You'll notice these when you take your first taste. This isn't out of style with a lot of English style ales.

That's what I figured, just wasn't too sure and wanted a second opinion.
You do definitely taste a bit of fruity esters in Stone's IPA and they recommend this yeast with a 68degree fermentation.

Back