Warmer Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
Is there something I can brew that can handle fermentation temps in the upper 70's, maybe 80? I've got some travel coming in August. I don't want to leave a fan running unattended for a week.

There is a hefe in the primary right now. It would be great to dump another batch of it on the yeast cake before I go. Any thoughts?

Do another one, but make it a dunkel so you'll have some variety. ;)

I don't know exactly what time line you're on, but I wouldn't let it go through it's primary fermentation in the 80's. If you can keep it in the 70's until the fermentation is mostly done (first few days), then letting it go into the 80's probably won't be a problem.

Get a Rubbermaid Bus Pan at Sam's or someplace and put about an inch of water in it. You then put a t-shirt over the fermenter and the water will wick up and drop the temp a few degrees. If it is really hot in your house you can drop in an ice pack and change it out every day.

rubbermaid_bus_tub.jpg

Worked great for me till I got a chest freezer and controller for fermenting.

EdWort said:
If it is really hot in your house you can drop in an ice pack and change it out every day.QUOTE]

If I was going to be home I could certainly use this or the fan method. Unfortunately I will be gone for a week, maybe two.

I am just curious if there is a style that doesn't mind 78-80 deg fermentation.

olllllo said:
Search for farmhouse ales or saisons.

Excellent suggestion, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you.

I did a search but unfortunately for me, all the recipes were AG. I'm not there yet.

It looks like I need an OG of 1.060 - 1.070+ for this style. Which type(s) of DME should I consider? Also, would it fall into the 1-2-3 guideline?

I guess I'll find out what it tastes like after it's finished.

Here's an extract recipe out of BYO clone brews for ya:

.75 lbs 2-row
10 oz Carapils
10 oz Crystal 20L
2.5 lbs light DME
4 lbs light LME (late addition)
1.1 oz Hallertauer @ 60 mins
1.1 oz Strisselspalt @ 15 mins
1/2 to 2 tsp cardamon
1/2 to 2 tsp orange peel
1/2 to 2 tsp coriander
Irish Moss
Wyeast 1214 or WLP565

Ferment @ 79-84F for a week & warm condition for a week.

It's the New Belgium Farmhouse clone BTW.

im in the process of trying Wyeast 1335 - British Ale II. smells great.
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 73-76%
Temperature Range: 63-75° F (17-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Latest posts

Back