Can I use only DME and skip the extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
I've read around here that the DME tastes better (i.e. less "extracty"), is DME only ever used for a base in addition to extract, or can a recipe be done ONLY with DME and steeped flavor grains? Thanks!

You can substitute DME for LME in any recipe, just use 80% DME to the amount of LME they are asking for.

For example, if a recipe calls for 6 lbs LME.
6 * 0.80 = 4.8 lbs DME

Lots of recipes are made with only DME and steeped grains. DME is just LME with some of the water removed. My experience is that it doesn't necessarily taste less "extracty," especially if the LME is somewhat fresh, but it does allow you to make a lighter-colored beer. If you search the forums there are long discussions comparing the merits of each.
But if you only want to use DME there should be no problems whatsoever.

btw, just so you don't get confused asking for it at your LHBS, DME is extract. It's just dry malt extract instead of liquid malt extract.

FWIW, I only use LME and I can make light beers with it. You just get light or extra light extract and add it very late in the boil. Works perfectly and I don't have to worry about whisking out the DME dumplings. :D

Dme is DRY MALT EXTRACT....LME is LIQUID MALT EXTRACT.

And yes, you can make DME/Steeping grain extract beers, in fact I prefer DME over LME in any extract recipes I make.

I must be the only person here who likes LME over DME. Then again, I have a close by source of fresh bulk LME, in light, amber, dark, wheat, and munich varieties.

I personally find it very easy to work with, whereas DME clumps, costs nearly twice as much, only comes in set amount packages (where I can buy odd weights of LME just fine,) and comes in less variety than LME at my LHBS.

I do do late additions for lighter beers, but to be honest, i dont make that many that are lighter than an american IPA, and its not hard to do that with LME at all. Now, if you want a light fizzy lawnmower beer, you might have a different opinion. But hey, to each his own.

Absolutely nothing wrong with LME. You can make great beers with it as long as its fresh, unhopped, and handled properly.

I like to keep DME around for making starters and the occasional extract/partial mash batch, and for those times when I really miss my target pre-boil gravity on AG batches and need to adjust during the boil.

DME is easier for me to measure out small amounts, like when I just need a few ounces for a starter, and I don't have to worry about storage. When I am running low, I just pick up a few bags, throw them in the back of the pantry, and forget about it for the next several months.

I must be the only person here who likes LME over DME. Then again, I have a close by source of fresh bulk LME, in light, amber, dark, wheat, and munich varieties.

I personally find it very easy to work with, whereas DME clumps, costs nearly twice as much, only comes in set amount packages (where I can buy odd weights of LME just fine,) and comes in less variety than LME at my LHBS.

I do do late additions for lighter beers, but to be honest, i dont make that many that are lighter than an american IPA, and its not hard to do that with LME at all. Now, if you want a light fizzy lawnmower beer, you might have a different opinion. But hey, to each his own.

Absolutely nothing wrong with LME. You can make great beers with it as long as its fresh, unhopped, and handled properly.

Me too. The problems with boil overs, clumping, and all the required whisking makes me reach for LME over DME for most boils. Although I do like DME for starters.

I bought a kit with LME once, and I never will again. The beer ended up having a very metallic taste to it. I'm sure it was probably because I got an expired kit or something, but once bitten, twice shy.

When I first started I used kit from Homebrew heaven and they were all DME never had a clumping problem with it. But then again I did full boils on a turkey fryer from day one so after an hour boil there were no clumps . I just did what the directions said to do and they actually gave some good advice like to use a Hydro to see if its done. And they actually had some good recipes

When I first started I used kit from Homebrew heaven and they were all DME never had a clumping problem with it. But then again I did full boils on a turkey fryer from day one so after an hour boil there were no clumps . I just did what the directions said to do and they actually gave some good advice like to use a Hydro to see if its done. And they actually had some good recipes

Homebrew Heaven is my LHBS. :D They're good, but I get my hops cheaper at another place. A few things they don't carry I've ordered online, but I get my recipes filled there.

Plus, they do bulk LME and have a VERY fast turnover on it so it's very fresh. NO twang in MY beer!

Homebrew Heaven is my LHBS. :D They're good, but I get my hops cheaper at another place. A few things they don't carry I've ordered online, but I get my recipes filled there.

Plus, they do bulk LME and have a VERY fast turnover on it so it's very fresh. NO twang in MY beer!

I bought my first brewing package there and the first beers I did were their kits I called them and they recommended the one below with a chiller. And I am glad I did my first beer was good if it hadn't I might have said screw it and got out then and there.

Deluxe_Brewing_Equipment_Kit2.jpg

Latest posts

Back