infected, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
Included is a picture of my beer in the bottle. I have a number of questions.

1. Is this definitely an infection?:(

2. It tastes fine, is there any danger in drinking it?:cross:

3. Can I reuse the equipment I brewed this in after a thorough cleaning and sanitization? How about the bottles? What is your recommended method for cleaning them if so (I was thinking bleach soak).:eek:

Thanks!

infection.jpg

addendum:
There was a slight film on top of the beer that I racked it out from under as I transferred to the bottling bucket, as far as I can tell it is in all of the bottles.

Hmmm...looks different than the usual yeast rafts. But since it tasted fine at bottling,I'm thinking maybe you sucked up some of them.

Nothing pathogenic can grow in beer. If it's truly infected, and it taste alright, then you'll be fine. People drink intentionally infect beers all the time (lambics).

It could just be a tiny member of the elusive bottle krausen family. You sometimes get krausens in bottles since the carbonation process is a mini fermentation with a top fermenting yeast. I've had a few on occasion.

The biggest thing is always, how does the beer smell and taste.

You guys rock. :rocking: I shall throw one in the fridge and give it a try actually drinking it instead of just tasting it, I'll let you know if I become violently ill!

PS this is 2 weeks after bottling that this developed

It looks infected to me, I've seen something similar in my bottles before and it was an infection. A white ring in the bottle or unusual film on top of the beer is a good indicator (not yeast or fermentation bubbles, of course.)

If it tastes OK, drink it quick. The couple times that happened to me, the beer didn't last too long (a few weeks) before going South. I'd also nuke the bottles and your equipment when you're done. Better safe than another off batch.

Back