First time Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
I have everything set up. CO2 is full, and connected to the input valve on the keg, I have it with water in the keg now, and PSI is about 30 or so.... I then hooked up the tap to the output section, but there is hardly any water flowing out.... it is pretty much a drip.

When I first hooked it all up, I heard a slight leak where the CO2 part connects to the valve PSI part. So I put a few clamps and tightened them pretty good to squeeze the hose. No more sound, so I am assuming no more leak. When I bleed the keg, CO2 definitely comes out, so it seems like the gas is flowing in. However there is still hardly any water coming out. Do I have to let the CO2 go in there for a while before I try to let the water out? Help here would be appreciated. I cant figure out what is wrong.

Spray star san solution to make sure there are no leaks. If its leaking it will bubble up

I assume this is a corny keg. Did you replace the poppets when you got it? Sometimes they stick so it could be that your beer out post has a stuck poppet. Only thing I can think of right now.

I can think of a few things. Check your dip tube and make sure that there isn't anything clogging it. As mentioned, a poppet could be jammed up. I would lean toward the dip tube, because you said if you vent the keg CO2 comes out. It won't take any time at all for a keg to respond to pressure. It takes maybe one second to pressurize the keg, at which point it should push liquid out if there is nothing wrong with the system.

If you remove the poppets it'll be pretty apparent I think if they aren't working properly. I would also remove the dip tube, as this is your first time kegging, and I assume your first use of a new keg, and clean the bloody hell out of it (many "new" refurbished kegs have had a quick rinsing but not a thorough cleaning).

Give it a try, if that's no good, I would repost in kegging. Lots of smart dudes check that routinely.

Back