kegging cola

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissajew86

Reaction score
I wasnt sure where to place this question, so if it is in the incorrect location, my apologies

I bought cola extraxt, and followed the instructions, and the 4 gallons of cola have been sitting in the refridgorator for a week under 30 psi and the cola still taste like flat sugar water....

all my beer is charged at 10 psi and is nice and fizzy....what am i doing wrong?

you need to let it sit for longer than that, generally. make sure that pressure is getting to the keg though.

when i make root beer, to speed up carbonation, i shake the keg multiple times over a few days.

if you don't shake, it could take numerous weeks if not a full month to fully carbonate, at least i think so. i could definitely be wrong though.

I certainly doesn't take weeks to force carbonate beer without shaking.

I don't know the answer to your problem but I doubt it is lack of shaking or too short a tiem period.

CO2 does not get dissolved into solution as readily in sugary soda as it does into beer or water. It should be carbonated to some degree after a week though. Try removing the gas in QD, blow off the pressure in the keg through the relief valve and reconnect the gas in QD and make sure that you can hear the CO2 entering into the keg.

The way that I avoid the fact that it is more difficult to carbonate soda, is to chill and carbonate the bulk of the water for several days before heating up the remaining water to dissolve the extract and sugar into. I then cool the extract/sugar water mixture in the fridge overnight, add it to the already carbonated water in the keg and put it back on the gas at 28 psi. I serve it through 20' of 3/16" ID beverage tubing and get a perfect pour with perfect carbonation.

John

it does have some carbination, but not nearly enough, if i need to let it sit longer i will

what is the standard carbination pressure of cola?

there is definatly a TON of pressure in the keg, the cola comes out WAY too quick, compaired to my 10 psi beers, i definatly need a longer line....next time i will take your advice and carbinate the water first....

Are you using a Corneluis keg? If so, you might want to use the other (dispensing) connection. Push the Co2 in through the bottom, and let it bubble up through the cola. (You'd probably need to switch the connectors around, to do this.)

Another thing you can do, is to put some dry ice in, WITH THE LID OFF. I used to make rootbeer, in my teens, using a milk can and dry ice. It was carbonated in about an hour, as long as the liquid was very cold. It would always carbonate, but not till the rootbeer was cold.

steve

kissajew86 said:
it does have some carbination, but not nearly enough, if i need to let it sit longer i will

what is the standard carbination pressure of cola?

there is definatly a TON of pressure in the keg, the cola comes out WAY too quick, compaired to my 10 psi beers, i definatly need a longer line....next time i will take your advice and carbinate the water first....

Most soda, like Coke for example, is carbonated to about 3.7 volumes of CO2. At 40˚F, that is about 25 psi. And yes, you will need at least 20' of 3/16" ID thick walled beverage tubing to properly dispense at a pressure that high.

Let me ask you, you say that the soda is coming out way too fast, does that mean that there is a lot of foam, and when the foam settles out that the soda is flat? The reason I ask is because maybe the soda in the keg is properly carbonated, but the CO2 is coming out of solution because of the foaming caused by trying to serve through a line that is too short.

John

johnsma22 said:
Most soda, like Coke for example, is carbonated to about 3.7 volumes of CO2. At 40˚F, that is about 25 psi. And yes, you will need at least 20' of 3/16" ID thick walled beverage tubing to properly dispense at a pressure that high.

Let me ask you, you say that the soda is coming out way too fast, does that mean that there is a lot of foam, and when the foam settles out that the soda is flat? The reason I ask is because maybe the soda in the keg is properly carbonated, but the CO2 is coming out of solution because of the foaming caused by trying to serve through a line that is too short.

John

yes it is coming out fast, but no foam, when it epsenses, there are bubbles building on the side so there is some carbination, but not much at all......

i will need to add line and i may try the dry ice thing, if nothing happenes in the next week or so...

Latest posts

Back