Strong Belgian Ale F(ck up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowrv

Reaction score
So the airlock clogged, blew hop residue everywhere. Lost a gallon. Can I add a gallon of water in the secondary and still have good beer ? Plan on 3 weeks in the secondary.

Nah, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. Just live with a little less beer and focus on the rest of the process. Adding water will dilute and even chance contamination. I'd rather have 4 gallons of a good beer than 5 gallons ruined. Next time, use a blowoff on a big beer with Belgian yeast.

Hex23 said:
Nah, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. Just live with a little less beer and focus on the rest of the process. Adding water will dilute and even chance contamination. I'd rather have 4 gallons of a good beer than 5 gallons ruined. Next time, use a blowoff on a big beer with Belgian yeast.

This

Thanks, that's what I'll do :)

Had the same thing happen two weeks ago. I put it in a secondary last weekend to cold crash it. Beer tasted great. I'm glad I didn't top it off. And I learned my lesson about blow off tubes.

That yeast is a monster, not quite in the 3711 chew through everything way, but in the blow off a massive amount of krausen way. Gotta have tons of headspace or a blow off tube.
You will probably need to warm it up to 70-75 to get it to finish. The last few points come off slowly.

Back