Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please report back in with your results.

First thing I can report is VERY vigorous fermentation. I got home from work today and both fermenters had blown out and flooded the bottom of the freezer. Didn't have enough blowoff hose so I hadda make a quick run to Tractor Supply. Got the mess cleaned up... now we wait... :ban:

Going to try this recipe today using BIAB, quick question, there is no mention of a boil just a 90 min mash?

I was told at my LHB that with any Pils you needed a 90 minute boil to get rid of the DMS? Plus to sterilize the wort?

3rd Place winner of the 2007 Alamo Cerveza Fest

Bavarian Hefeweizen 5.5 Gallon

7# German Wheat
4# German Pils
.5# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

Mash for 90 minutes at 153 degrees.

.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 15

Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 with starter.

Ferment 10 days at 68 degrees then crash cool & keg.

O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.009

5.6% abv

So... Day 17... the batch with WLP300 is bubbling at a rate of appx. once every 30 seconds. The batch with 3068 is at appx. once every 45 seconds. Ambient temp is 62F with fermstrips reading 66F. Thoughts? Ideas?

So... Day 17... the batch with WLP300 is bubbling at a rate of appx. once every 30 seconds. The batch with 3068 is at appx. once every 45 seconds. Ambient temp is 62F with fermstrips reading 66F. Thoughts? Ideas?

My last Hefe bubbled just a little right up to bottling (14 days for that batch), but gravity checks 2 days apart were the same, so I bottled and didn't worry about it. Probably just releasing dissolved CO2.

Bubbles in the airlock should not be used as a sign of finished fermentation. Only a gravity reading will tell you if it's truly finished or not.

Going to try this recipe today using BIAB, quick question, there is no mention of a boil just a 90 min mash?

I was told at my LHB that with any Pils you needed a 90 minute boil to get rid of the DMS? Plus to sterilize the wort?
See the text at the very top. 60 minute boil---a bunch of people have posted in this thread wondering about DMS with a 60 rather than 90 minute boil, but I had no hints of DMS with mine, and most people seem to be doing the 60 minute boil as written.

Followed the recipe unfortunately my hydrometer was broken. I added blueberries at the request of some of my friends. Will let you know how it turned out! GREAT recipe!

Please report back in with your results.

Both batches turned out really nicely. The 3068 attentuated just a bit more so the ABV is slightly higher. Also, the 3068 carbed a bit higher as well... I love hefeweizens! Like drinking a cold glass of banana bread! :drunk:

First beer ever brewed and it turned out really well! Even my homebrew skeptical friends said this was, "Damn good!" A few slight errors were made in the process and temperatures got a little off, but in the end still great and will be brewing this again for my wedding this summer!

SPXoVe1.jpg

Low OG 1.046 followed recipe, but seems to be common. 11lbs of grain. Any thoughts?

I have mashed & brewed this recipe 4 times in pretty much exactly the same conditions, and for one of the 4, I purchased the grain and milled it from a different LHBS. I went from 1.048 / 1.052 first runnings to 1.030 with the grain milled from the different shop.

Amazing what a difference proper roller settings and conditions made

I missed the numbers by a large margin as well. My OG came in at 1.044 and I ended up with less than 5 gallons in the fermenter. I have no idea what happened with this one. The gravities taken off of the vorlauf were, low as well. I only did a 60 minute mash, so that must have been the issue or the grains were a problem. I've heard there is a diminishing return after 60 minute mash. Oh well, should taste fine, if not my father-in-law will drink it.

I'm brewing this up today to serve as one of my on tap beers for my new home bar grand opening. Hefes are what turned me on to craft beer and, in turn, home brewing so I figured it seemed fitting. Mashing as we speak. Then it's time to finish the room and build my keezer. Going to be a good spring!!!

picked up all the items to brew this hefe this week. Gonna be a fun time trying to keep my swamp cooler cool enough for this to ferment well.

After two years I'm brewing again. I borrowed equipment from a co-worker for my first 3 brews, (2 of the three were this beer). He moved and I didn't have necessary equipment. I have moved since then too. Now that I'm settled in my new house I wanted to pick it back up. Several months ago I built a 3D Printer. I was put in touch with a company called Yeastir that makes stirplates. They needed some 3d prints for their stirplates. I decided some of the money made should go towards homebrewing. I have bought my equipment, including a kegging system. I decided to brew this again. I tried to use the yeast I washed from the last time I brewed this, but they died. Two years is a long shot. I did, however, drink two of the beers that I made 2 years ago while brewing the new batch. They were delicious! I will post an update when I get this one on draft.

Is everyone doing a 60 min boil on this or are people doing the 90min boil for the Pilsner malt

My hallertau is only aa2.4 so I had to use 1oz at 45 min and .8oz at 15 to get 13 ibus. I'm was thinking of just moving the early addition to 60 min so I don't have to go back to the store but I'm guessing you don't wNt that much actuall bitterness from the hops hence the 45 min addition?

My hallertau is only aa2.4 so I had to use 1oz at 45 min and .8oz at 15 to get 13 ibus. I'm was thinking of just moving the early addition to 60 min so I don't have to go back to the store but I'm guessing you don't wNt that much actuall bitterness from the hops hence the 45 min addition?

I don't see why it would matter if you use more hops for 45 minutes or less hops for 60 minutes as long as the IBU's come out the same. Maybe the OP will comment on why he chose a 45 minute addition instead of 60.

I don't see why it would matter if you use more hops for 45 minutes or less hops for 60 minutes as long as the IBU's come out the same. Maybe the OP will comment on why he chose a 45 minute addition instead of 60.

True I thought about that but luckily my lhbs is right around the corner 5 min there and back and got another pack of hops. Adjusted it to 13.8 ibus with additions at 45, 15 and 5 min.

I made an extract version

4# breiss dry wheat extract
2# breiss dry pilsen malt extract
6 oz carapils steeped @ 155 for 30 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 60 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 15

1liter starter of wyeast 3068

fermented in a 62-64 degree water bath for 14 days

crash cooled and kegged/force carbed @ room temp at 40psi for 20 min 2 days ago

Perfect!

FYI, the pic looks quite a bit lighter than the actual beer.

I think I'm going to try the extract version this week! Sounds delicious!

Man this beer turned out good. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test against Fraziskaner. It's definitely on my list for brewing again.

Brewed this up today! Hit my numbers and ended up with 5 gallons of goodness at 1.052 gravity. Now I just hope my homemade ferm chamber will work. Cross my fingers!

Well brewed it Saturday and appears max temp it hit during the 48hrs of primary fermentation was 64. By the time I got home Tuesday morning there's a def yeast cake on the bottom. I moved it upstairs now to raise the temp to help the yeast clean up. Usually I get a greater rise in temp during primary fermentation but not this time which left me 4deg low of my target temp. Hopefully it's not to clovey but I'm sure it'll b ok.

The wait is killing me. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days. Things are still swirling around and the airlock still bubbling every 15 seconds. I took a gravity reading and it is still 11 points too high (1.02, OG was 1.052). I tasted it and I think it is going to be amazing. I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out...

I made an extract version

4# breiss dry wheat extract
2# breiss dry pilsen malt extract
6 oz carapils steeped @ 155 for 30 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 60 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 15

1liter starter of wyeast 3068

fermented in a 62-64 degree water bath for 14 days

crash cooled and kegged/force carbed @ room temp at 40psi for 20 min 2 days ago

Perfect!

FYI, the pic looks quite a bit lighter than the actual beer.

Here are the FG/OG #s from Beersmith

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

Brewed this yesterday used Liberty hops and Kellerweizen yeast I harvested may even dry hop it--last time I brewed this I pitched 05 and dry hopped it and it was very drinkable

Ok folks looking for some advice.

I brewed this beer 2 weeks ago. Hit my numbers pretty close (OG 1.054, FG 1.009), used 3068 yeast with a starter. Fermented in a ferm chamber for 14 days at 68° (measured by the taping the probe from the digital temp controller under bubble wrap to fermenter bucket). It had a very strong sulfur smell at about 3 days, but died off by the end. I cold crashed for 2 days at 32°, kegged it this morning with 18# pressure and put it in the kegerator.

So here's the deal, I did a taste test a minute ago and WHOA! The sulfur smell and taste are back big time. Will this clear up with time, do I need to take it out of the kegerator and let it condition at warmer temperature or ???????

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Sittinbull

Sittinbull, start reading at page 93 of this post. It has a lot of mentions of sulfur. People say that is clears with time.

First gravity sample at day 10 yields a 1.007 FG. Projected was around 1.010 so yeast did a good job, early on I kept this in my basement then after primary ferm was done I moved it upstairs until today so like 7 days at around 68-70 deg so I wonder if they really attenuated due to this. Taste was clean not overly eatery but def tasted like a hefe, minor banana at this point. Oh I used wlp 300 for this batch I'd like to try the wyeast for the next one just for comparison.

I brewed this about three weeks ago with no problems. Everything seemed to go well during fermentation steady at 68-70 degrees. Cold crashed for three days or so and kegged last night. Forgot to take gravity until I had the beer in keg. Took sample and put the co2 on it and threw it in the keezer. Dropped in my hydrometer. . . 1.030!!!!!! took a sip. Tastes good. Not sure where I could have gone wrong. Could a few degrees cool on my mash have left this many unfermentables? Yeast made a healthy starter, so I'd be surprised if they were the problem.

Back