Question about R2 Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the cider forum, but since I received no replies I thought I might better try here.

I've just done a batch of cider. Bear with me - this is wine (yeast) related. :) Based on some reading I've done I decided to use R2 wine yeast as it seemed to display (or at least be described thusly) some of the characteristics I was seeking.

This is not a real popular yeast so I may be shooting in the dark here but does anyone have any experience with it? Specifically I'm looking for guidance on aging; should I age on gross lees or rack, that sort of thing. Some yeasts don't mind sur lie, some wines benefit from it, some yeasts positively do not do well with it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this one.

The primary fermentation itself went great. I hydrated with Go-Ferm and used Fermaid K as I normally do. I aerated for 1 hour pre-pitching and two hours post pitching with a stone and plain filtered air. I had obvious signs of fermentation in 8 hours and at 12 hours the airlock needed to be refilled again it was going so well. Primary fermentation seemed to be complete (12.5 Plato juice) after 3.5 days. At 5 days there's an obvious band of clearing up top as it degasses.

I originally posted this in the cider forum, but since I received no replies I thought I might better try here.

I've just done a batch of cider. Bear with me - this is wine (yeast) related. :) Based on some reading I've done I decided to use R2 wine yeast as it seemed to display (or at least be described thusly) some of the characteristics I was seeking.
So how is the R2 yeast working for you? I was going to try it, but never got around to ordering it.

I can't complain so far. This was a down and dirty batch using Walmart brand juice which had maltodextrin in it. It finished at 1.013 or so but tasted finished so I assume the additional maltodextrin was what left the gravity high. It's in a secondary right now till I am ready to back-sweeten and carbonate.

It cleared very well, especially given that I did not degas. I did chill it quite well, down to 38°F. The yeast was a thick solid layer on the bottom.

No sulfury flavors/aromas although the cider still has a "yeasty" note to it that I am hoping matures out a bit.

It's tough to tell if this is a new go-to yeast with the less than optimal juice, but it's certainly better than a lot I have used. Better than champagne and montrachet for instance in that the cider is not hot at all. However, it's also not real strong either so ... we'll see.

I thought I would close this out. I just got around to back-sweetening and kegging.

There was a very light dusting of yeast in the secondary. I added kmeta and sorbate and racked one more time to let it settle again before back-sweetening. It sat there for probably two more weeks while I got around to the back sweetening. This time there was nothing in the bottom and the cider remained crystal clear.

This is perhaps the easiest to clear yeast I have used. It was not a "classic" or fancy cider being store-bought juice, but I will definitely use it again. I like the profile; it enhanced the apple flavor/aroma and did not develop any sulfur during the ferment at all.

Is it the best? Who knows. It's the best yeast I have used so far for cider and there's no negatives to it that I have noted. I'll definitely use it again so long as it's available.

Back