Water to grain amount for mash important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I'm going to try a kit today for a witbier. From reading on here I guess I am doing a partial mash essentially. It tells me to basically soak the grains in 1 gallon of 150F water for 45 min. The problem now. My pots are all the wrong size. My brew kettle when I put 1 gallon in it I only have maybe 1-2 inches of water in it. The next pot I have 1 gallon of water won't leave enough room for the grains to fit. Can I get the same results if I just use more water? 2 gallons would be about right in the brew kettle. Or should I go ahead and use the kettle with 1 gallon knowing the grains will essentially be right at the bottom where the heat source is or should I split up the grains and do 2 1/2 gallon batches in the small pot? I guess option 3 would be to go buy another pot that is better sized but not sure I want to do that.

then whats the problem with putting it in your brew pot with 1-2 inches of water? That's 2qts/lb, pretty thin mash. Do you not have a big enough bag to cover the bottom of the kettle and spread the grain out?

I could do that yeah but it would pretty much be laying right on the bottom of the pot. It being right on the bottom at the heat source won't hurt anything?

If you're just going up to 150, you shouldn't get anything hot enough to scorch the grains. Plus, if it's a partial mash you should heat the water first and then put the grains in. After that you'll only need to hit it with the heat a little bit to maintain temperature in that wide a pot.

Yeah once you get up to strike temps and add the grains you shouldn't need to apply more heat. I agree it may burn the bag if you apply heat with it in there.

Something came up so I had to put off brewing today. Thankfully. Now I can research this more. I assumed when I got this kit I would just be steeping grains again not learning how to mash. Kind of threw me for a loop when I started going through the directions this morning. Thanks for the help looks like I will be exploring grain brewing sooner than I thought.

I say mash in the smaller pot with less water. Strain first runnings into a colander over your big pot, then run a bit more water through the grains as a sparge. Call it good.

You want to use at least 1/2 gallon of water, but you will be fine using a little less than a full gallon. I would use the smaller pot, and just use as much water as you can easily fit.

I got this brew done today. You know it was actually a lot more intimidating than it should have been. It was surprisingly easy to maintain 150F. I only had to add heat once in the 45min time period. It really wasn't that hard to get the grains set up to sparge them after the steep either. I'm far from doing actual all grain brewing but this was a very fun and educational day. Not near as hard as it sounded. I guess the saying holds true. The first time is the hardest time.

Back