Glucose Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourz4life

Reaction score
So I know that most honeys are made up of a combination of Fructose and Glucose. Seeing as yeast require the least energy to consume Glucose, my thoughts were to find a honey made up of mostly Glucose sugars. From what I can tell they are out there but I can't find much info on it. Anyone have a source or know anything on this?

Well according to Chris White from white labs and other microbiologist it does care, which is why I do. Yeast eats simple sugars in this order: Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Maltose, and Maltotriose. In the presence of Glucose it will eat that first and actually suppresses the yeasts ability to eat maltose and maltotriose. For glucose yeast takes it into the cell through facilitated diffusion without expending any metabolic energy. This is all for an experiment which requires the glucose to be from honey as that's what the yeast I'm propagating will primarily feed on.

Wow, awesome! I stand corrected! Don't let me get in the way of real science! From one scientist to another, I sincerely hope you find the honey you need.

Regards and apologies. :mug:

The experiment is 2 parts. One being a stress test on yeast and the affects of stress. And the other being fermentation time in certain environments, including simple sugars used, fermentation temps, and other nutrients present. Seeing as it takes less metabolic energy for yeast to consume glucose, I'm curious to use that to see if faster ferment times can be created when using high Glucose content must. I'll also use this to look at base stress levels of yeast when eating their favorite sugar compared to others.

Also, thanks for the resource. I was on their website earlier but didn't even think to look there.

That sounds like an interesting experiment. How are you going to do/quantify (if you are able to quantify) your stress test?

I'll be doing this by taking yeast samples through different stages and looking at the cells Vacuole. A tell tale sign that a yeast is stressed is when then Vacuole enlarges. I'll be looking for signs like this, and what side affects are caused because of it. I'll also be looking to see when they are stressed what other indication do they give. I plan to keep a picture journal of all the cell's activities so others can easily see what it looks like when they are stressed and what caused them to get that way.

Maybe you should write this up in s proposal and try to get some AHA backing. Sounds like good info. A tasting scale with some blind tasters might be a good idea as @loveofrose mentioned. Good luck.

Remember that the differences in fermentation between glucose and fructose are so small as to be pretty insignificant. Even if one honey is 61% glucose and another is 40% glucose, since there are not "harder" sugars like maltotriose, it would be almost no difference in the yeast health and metabolic rate. Glucose and fructose are both monosaccharides and the yeast metabolism would not vary much at all in fermenting those simple sugars.

If you were talking about the issues with glucose and maltotriose, for example, I would agree that there could be some significant differences.

I'm not really too worried with the differences in fermentation with different sugars but since I'll be stress testing them I figured I might as well keep track of their activity using different sugars or combination of sugars.

Although part of the experiment will test how quickly I can cause the yeast to ferment out all the available sugar while keeping low stress levels to prevent any off flavors.

Although part of the experiment will test how quickly I can cause the yeast to ferment out all the available sugar while keeping low stress levels to prevent any off flavors.

I think they would be so similar as to be unnoticeable, since they are both monosaccharides and no honey would be 100% of either. But still, if you would post your results, that would be great for us to learn.

I'll encompass the other simple sugars as well just to see the results but I'll write it all up when completed and post it.

Latest posts

Back