Making a Keggerator with a college fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Hey just have a question about what 'college' style fridges can be used to make a keggerator? Is it merely a situation where if the corney will fit...it works?? Do these work as well as a freezer? for temp? ect...

trying to figure it all out before I make mine!

Thanks!
Adam

Buy the largest you can without a freezer. The freezer will almost always interfere with the height of a corny keg and will certainly cause headaches if your intention is to have a tap tower. Mine is Whirlpool, 4.4 cu ft with no freezer.
A lot of mini fridges have removable freezer compartments though.

Oh, I forgot to add that almost all mini-fridges have a small "shelf" at the back. The size of this shelf will vary depending on the make and model, so just make sure there's enough room at the bottom of the fridge in front of this shelf for your kegs.

Depends on a few things. How are the cooling lines oriented? I've modified 2 mini-fridges. They were both Sanyos with the U shaped freezer compartment near the ceiling of the inside. You simply remove the clips on top and slowly/carefully bend it back so it now sits vertical against the back wall. Not ideal since it's still there, BUT that IS the cooling element. No worries about drilling through the cooling lines when poking the holes for lines. If when drilling you hear a...ssss...you might as well get a new fridge.

That shelf at the back is the compressor hump. It does interfere with getting a corny keg in there sometimes. You can usually perch a 5 lb CO2 tank back there, but that often gets tight as well.

If you use a dedicated freezer, you would need a temperature controller which can add $50-80.

Back