Best practices for washing bottles... how do you do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully I can piggy back a question here too. I have the same type of question. I have a newish (2006) dishwasher, with a sanitize feature. Things get piping hot in there. Its a great dishwasher, wasn't cheap thats for sure.

If I put all my bottles in there, is that going to work?

Yes just make sure you put them in with no soap.

+1

Rinse immediately after pouring, store in brown paper bags until needed, visually inspect (if I see anything in the bottle, I set it aside for an oxyclean bath when needed), into bucket of starsan for 5 min, onto dishwasher racks to drip dry until bottling time. I've never had any issues. Use your oven to bake a pizza - you'll be happier for it. :D

I bottle about 25% or maybe a bit less of my homebrew and use the easy button above as well. Rinse bottles very good with hot water as soon as I pour a home brew to remove all residue. These are allowed to dry over night upside down before storage. New bottles that enter my world are soaked for a few days in Oxyclean to remove labels. These are washed well afterward and allowed to dry before storage. On bottling day I allow bottles to soak in starsan as I prepare everything else. When ready to bottle I load up the bottling tree, but as I pour out the starsan I shake vigorously to remove anything else that may have been missed. As I fill the bottles, I'll first take a quick look to make sure there is no crude. So far so good.

I have virtually stopped accepting 12oz bottles. They're just a pain in the butt to peel labels and clean. I started just using 22oz and only if they're at least rinsed after consumption. It just makes everything easier. Every time we get sushi I ask if they have any. I usually get 6 or so. The ichiban and sopporo will virtually delabel themselves if left in a sink of very hot water. I just rinse with very hot water and dry upside down. Then put them in a paper grocery bag under the sink. When I have enough, or it's time to bottle I run them through the dishwasher on the sanitize setting then crack the door and leave them upside down to finish drying.

I've looked through several threads on bottle cleaning, and the majority of posts promote a thorough rinse after emptying the bottle - then just use Star-San at bottling time. In other words, no PBW or OxiClean needed if the bottles are rinsed immediately after emptying. John Palmer agrees: "If you are diligent in rinsing your bottles promptly and thoroughly after each use with your homebrew, only the sanitizing treatment will be necessary before each use in the future. By maintaining clean equipment you will save yourself a lot of work." Apparently, this is the case any time you don't give it a chance to dry and form a crust on the surface. I plan to start using this method when taking hydrometer samples, too. It's a real PITA to make up even a small a batch of Oxyclean just to clean a sampler. Does anybody think I'm shooting myself in the foot?

I'd love to eliminate my oxyclean soak and just do a rinse and starsan spray, but I'm far too anal for that!

Not at all! I use PBW when I'm recycling bottles to use. Just soak'em over night,& the labels,glue,& gunk float away. Or the glue remaining is very soft. A dobie & bottle brush make short work of them. A quick rinse & onto the bottle tree to dry before packing them into covered boxes in the corner. Soon after drinking,a good rinse & back on the bottle tree. I use a vinitor half full of starsan on bottling day to sanitize them. Never a problem.
I use the tube my hydrometer came in to do tests. I take it to the sink & use one of my aquarium lift tube brushes I bought for cleaning spigots & such to clean it with some tap water. Slick as a whistle in no time. Sanitize it,& the hydrometer & it's ready to go.

Yea, using PBW or Oxyclean to soak the labels off overnight is great! A quick spray of starsan on the hands after handling the bottles with oxy clean on them also makes that slippery feeling go away immediately. StarSan is amazing... and I think fairly cost efficient. Only 1oz of liquid for five gallons of water? Nice!

Back