Natural Carbonation in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armstpe

Reaction score
I want to naturally carbonate some of my brew in the keg and have a couple of questions. :confused:

1. As far as I have been able to determine about 2.5 ounces of corn sugar is the proper amount to prime with. Is this correct?

2. How long can a brew set in secondary and still be naturally carbonated?

Thank You

Paul

1. never done it, but that's about what i've read.

2. just like bottling...for most beers, you should be able to leave it in the secondary for many many months and be fine. for a really high gravity beer, you might need to add yeast for carbonation as the yeast will be pooped and/or dead.

Between 1/2 cup and 1/3 cup of dextrose is the recommended amount for carbonating in a corny keg and I believe 2.5 oz. is just a little bit over 1/3 cup so you should be set!

As far as the yeast is concerned, you'll be alright. Like BuzzCraft said, if it's a normal ABV beer (5ish % or less) and it has been in the secondary for a couple of months it'll be alright to carbonate on it's own. If the yeast cake is very compact/thin you might want to intentionally stir a little bit of it up as you rack the beer into the keg, just to be sure.

Back