First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss792

Reaction score
So I boiled my first batch 8 days ago and after the debauchery that took place, I decided to really dive into this. The countless mistakes that I made will certainly land this beer in the bottom of what I hope to be a plethera of great batches. Let's not mention that when I went to give it the ice bath, I was about half way through cooling it down when I was exchanging the water/ice and I pulled the plug to drain the warm water and simutaneously turning the faucet on to recycle the water, the plug floated back to the drain and my laundry room was flooded. I noticed it when I came back down stairs with another bag of ice....Let's just say the laundry room is officially clean. As for the beer, the 3 gallons in the stockpot was filled with two gallons of water with the flooded tub, which was clean, but it was still city water and only time will tell on if it is good or bad.

Certnainly with the mistakes that were made - steeping grains at close to 170 degrees, the boil was a challenge to keep boiling, leaving it in the fermenter at around 68 degrees room temp, and the flooding disaster, there is a lot to learn.

Noticeable signs of fermentation wasn't until almost 65 hours after it was put in the fermenter and the starting gravity was a little low to the recommended 1.040 actual to 1.054 recommended. It's certainly working now though as there's a great foam on top of it. The smell isn't the greatest at this point, but I'm not giving up on it yet. I already have the ingredients for the 2nd batch and will probably boil on Sunday.

I'm sure glad I've stumbled upon this website - loads and loads of invaluable information by the people in the trenches.

So I boiled my first batch 8 days ago and after the debauchery that took place, I decided to really dive into this. The countless mistakes that I made will certainly land this beer in the bottom of what I hope to be a plethera of great batches. Let's not mention that when I went to give it the ice bath, I was about half way through cooling it down when I was exchanging the water/ice and I pulled the plug to drain the warm water and simutaneously turning the faucet on to recycle the water, the plug floated back to the drain and my laundry room was flooded. I noticed it when I came back down stairs with another bag of ice....Let's just say the laundry room is officially clean. As for the beer, the 3 gallons in the stockpot was filled with two gallons of water with the flooded tub, which was clean, but it was still city water and only time will tell on if it is good or bad.

Certnainly with the mistakes that were made - steeping grains at close to 170 degrees, the boil was a challenge to keep boiling, leaving it in the fermenter at around 68 degrees room temp, and the flooding disaster, there is a lot to learn.

Noticeable signs of fermentation wasn't until almost 65 hours after it was put in the fermenter and the starting gravity was a little low to the recommended 1.040 actual to 1.054 recommended. It's certainly working now though as there's a great foam on top of it. The smell isn't the greatest at this point, but I'm not giving up on it yet. I already have the ingredients for the 2nd batch and will probably boil on Sunday.

I'm sure glad I've stumbled upon this website - loads and loads of invaluable information by the people in the trenches.

Welcome new home brewer; I just boiled up my first batch last weekend and although I didn't flood my laundry room, I had some hiccups of my own. But, after reading books and these great forums, I have some responses....

Sounds like you could use a good thermometer; I use a probe thermometer with a temperature alarm and timer from Polder. It was 20 bucks on Amazon.com and came with pan clip so I don't have to worry about getting the cable wet (which can cause problems). I've read conflicting temps for steeping grains but 155 degrees seems to be standard; just don't steep much above 170.

The slow fermentation was probably because it wasn't aerated enough. You really have to shake the hell out of that wort before pitching the yeast. I doubt I did it enough because i had a long lag-time too. I'm thinking about getting one of these: http://trompeters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/p5090321.jpg

Plus I ferment in my basement which is 64 degrees... but that's ok because the exothermic fermentation process adds 5-10 degrees to the temperature inside the primary... although warmer air temperatures probably reduce the lag time. 68 degrees is probably ideal.

Back