new belgium - lips of faith 'dunkel weiss'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
anyone else had this? i found it at our local liquor store the other day and finally opened it tonight. really good beer. nice banana and a little bit of clove, and more roasty/chocolate than your average dunkelweizen, which, IMHO, really plays well with the banana. sometimes the banana gets too much for me to handle in some of the german weizen beers, but the level of roast and chocolate in this beer doesn't let it dominate. i should like to emulate this beer someday.

I had it and got the toasty flavor but felt like the clove was too strong and needed some hop balance. It does hide the fact that it is 9% very well. I also like the black pepper on the finish. Not my favorite New Belgium but interesting.

Just had a bottle last night, and honestly I didn't like it very much. IMO the black pepper overpowered any of the banana and clove flavors that I was expecting. I usually find hefeweizens and dunkelweizens to be very refreshing, but the black pepper gave it a savory characteristic that made it anything but refreshing. I've liked a lot of the other LOF series beers, but I don't think I'll be buying this one again. Between sips I could even taste the black pepper still if I licked my lips.

I love the name dunkel weiss it translates to 'dark white' which seems like a bit of an oxymoron

Is anyone familiar with southern german? I remember reading that weiss is how they say wheat in the bavarian accent but I wasn't sure if that's true

I had it at NB's mothership a few months back now, and all I can remember is it tasting hauntingly like Sauerkraut. It could've been the 3 other breweries I hit up before NB, and the subsequent buzz, but doubtful.

it sounded really good, especially the chocolate part - I love the Franziskaner Dunkelweizen - but then the pepper part turned me off. But I'll definitely try it if I find any.

Latest posts

Back