Blending inquiry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
So I have about 5 gallons of exceptionally overhopped IPA. It is not really drinkable in its current state and I am too stubborn to throw it out because other than using the wrong hops, it was well made and with the hops shortage, it'd be a waste to dump all those IBUs. So the idea of brewing an underhopped IPA and blending them together sounds like a good one to me.

But then I got thinking.

What else could you blend with an IPA to make something interesting. What would you blend into your IPA?

I am all for blending 2 so-so brews to make 1 large drinkable brew. I've been advocating that for years.

I would stick to the same type brew to simplify the whole process. Besides you don't have to go into a whole bunch of explanations when asked what kind it is...;)

How old is the beer? It'll soften a fair amount with age, so leaving it for six months may help. Alternatively, maybe adding a gallon of malty unhopped fermented wort would dilute the hoppiness (which I take it comes through as too much bitterness) and get you closer to what you were aiming for.

:off: I've yet to try a beer that's overhopped. If your teeth still have some enamel on them, it's not overhopped ;)

I think Ithaca Brewing's Caskazilla is basically an IPA/Red? I don't think they brew two beers and combine them, but it sparked another suggestion/possibility for you. How about brewing a malty, normally hopped amber/red and combining it with your IPA.

You get a nice hoppy (read: basically IPA) red ale.

EDIT: Some more info on the Ithaca beer. A lesser hopped red combined with your IPA might get you here...

The name CascaZilla is a play on both the name of our local Cascadilla Gorge and the monster amounts of Cascade hops in this beer. This red ale gets its distinctive color from a healthy portion of caramel malt, which also lends some body and sweetness to the beer. The predominant flavor and aroma of this beer, however, is brought to you by the fresh American hops. If you haven't done so yet, treat yourself to Ithaca Beer's new monstrously hoppy Red Ale.

Original Gravity 14.5P
Alcohol Content 6.5%
Malt 2-Row Brewers, Caramel 60
Hops Amarillo, Cascade, Chinook, Crystal

Haha, when I opened this I thought the title was blending INJURY. I expected to see some mutulated fingers or something. Glad I read that wrong!!!

Danek said:
How old is the beer? It'll soften a fair amount with age, so leaving it for six months may help. Alternatively, maybe adding a gallon of malty unhopped fermented wort would dilute the hoppiness (which I take it comes through as too much bitterness) and get you closer to what you were aiming for.

:off: I've yet to try a beer that's overhopped. If your teeth still have some enamel on them, it's not overhopped ;)

6 months, huh? It is about a month and a half old at this point. I like hoppy beer too, but the chinook leave a very pasty aftertaste in this one.

A red is an interesting idea, though. I might have to look into that.

Or I guess I could just let it age 6 months.

Lil' Sparky said:
Haha, when I opened this I thought the title was blending INJURY. I expected to see some mutulated fingers or something. Glad I read that wrong!!!
hah.

No brewing injuries just yet!

You could combine it with a brown ale to make an "India brown ale" such as that of DFH?

Man, I never realized there were so many blending possibilities! :)

carnevoodoo said:
It is about a month and a half old at this point.

Barely enough time for any beer to be good, let alone a highly hopped IPA.

Hide it until St Patrick's day. Or Memorial Day. If it's still rough then, think about blending.

Back