What style is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
Can anyone help me "style" this? I looked through the BJCP styles and I just can't seem to get it to fit, so maybe it doesn't fit any one style, but I'd like to get your input. This was a recipe I made up by gathering information about individual ingredients and it turned out to be a very interesting (in a good way) beer. It's taste is fairly malty with a floral hops aroma that is definitely noticable, yet delicate and doesn't overpower the malt. It's not "dry", but it leaves a little dryness in your mouth making you want to drink more!

Batch Size: 10 Gal
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
SRM: 4.8 (It's between gold and orange)
IBU's: 22.9
ABV: 5.5%

Grain:
-Belgian Pilsner Malt = 13 lbs (70%)
-Munich Malt = 3 lbs (16%)
-Vienna Malt = 1.1 lbs (6%)
-Cara-Pils = 1.5 lbs (8%)

Hops:
-Styrian Goldings = 1.2 oz @ 60 min (5% AA)
-Saaz = 0.5 oz @ 60 min (4.5% AA)
-Tettnang = 0.8 oz @ 15 min (4% AA)
-Hallertauer = 0.5 oz @ 10 min (4% AA)

Yeast:
WLP 830

Did a direct-heat, multi-step mash, primary for 2 weeks @ 52dF, D-rest for 2 days, lager for a month @ 38dF, primed with gyle (resulted in a standard carbonation level with a nice head), bottle for 3-4 weeks and the taste has really changed (for the better) from earlier tastings.

Did I miss any info? I don't know what it is, but I'm very happy with it!

kopake said:
Dortmunder?

Great guess! (Not that this was a quiz.) I think that will be the closest. I never did give my water profile above... my well water is pretty soft and this makes the hops a little less accentuated than any Dortmunder I've tasted.

Back