Dry Hopping/Wild Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apreswho

Reaction score
I've got a buddy who works at a brewery and i tend to ask him anything i have a question on, he suggested i shouldnt really dry hop with full flowers because they arent processed the same was as pellets and may have all sorts of funky bacteria and yeast on them. Needless to say, i did this anyway :)

Upon looking in the carboy today, i noticed that the whole hopsock is covered in yeast! the beer tastes fine, but do i have some sort of crazy wild yeast cosy-ing up to my pale ale? can this cause problems in the long run as i bottle/age?

I've never had a problem dry-hopping with commercial whole hops. Your beer should be fine. Yeast like to flocculate to any rough surface, thats part of the reason behind the flavor differences between beers fermented in oak casks or on staves/chipps and beers aged in/on oak after fermentation.

thanks guys! wasnt so much concerned about a problem as i was just generally interested what was going on. i've dry hopped once before but the yeast didnt attach to the hopsock, though it is a different yeast this time around

Back