Dirty Bastard by Founders....Need it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
Alright...I had a Dirty Bastard by Founders last weekend. Someonebody put your thinking cap on and help me find that recipe!:rockin:

Using my googling noodling:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/looking-founders-dirty-bastard-clone-170732/

13 lbs. Pale Malt
1 lb. Special B
.5 lb. Carapils
.5 lb. Caramunich
.5 lb. Caravienne
.25 lb. Black Patent

1 oz. Golding @60
.5 oz. Perle @40
.5 oz. Golding @20

US-05 for yeast.

- It's an AG version but I'll see if I can find a Extract and post. I think I will try this one at some point.......

Founder’s Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale Clone by Wes

Extract + Grains method
5 gallons
60 min boil

Steeping Grains:

1 lb Dingmans Special B
8 oz Dingmans Cara-Munich
8 oz Dingmans Cara-Vienna
8 oz Dingmans Cara-Pils
2 oz Briess Black Patent

Wort Processing:

9.5 lbs Munton’s Light Malt Syrup

(60) 1 oz Kent Goldings (4 AAU), ½ oz Perle (9 AAU)
(40) ½ oz Perle
(20) ½ oz Kent Goldings, teaspoon Irish Moss

Wyeast 1056 American Ale (liquid) or,
Whitelabs 001 California Ale (liquid) or,
Safale American Ale (dry)

Fermentation

Temperature: 67 - 70 F

Posted by brewagentjay:

I'm heading to the brew store today to pick up the goods. I had saved my last batch of Wyeast Irish Ale from a guinness clone 2 months ago and reactivated it on Wednesday. It's at high krausen and ready to be pitched! I'll update you on how it turns out in a couple weeks after fermentation in my primary.:mug:

I brewed this clone finally and bottled it this past weekend. I took a sample from the bottler and it was amazing. I have to add that my girlfriend, who assists me during brewing, accidentally added a 1 # of each specialty grain instead of 1/2 #. the black patent was left at 1/4 #.

So we have dubbed it a Fat Bastard because this baby is going to be very full bodied.

It's a great beer. I wonder if they go through with all those specialty malts or do a traditional ultra-long boil or some combination? Probably more efficient to use the specialty malts. Did you go AG or extract? Let us know how close it is when they're all carbed and ready!

@indigi- according to Founder's website they use 7 different malts so I doubt it is the traditional base malt + 1% roasted barely boil down type Scotch Ale.

@3PegBrew- how has it aged? Did you buy more DB to do a side by side comparison? I'm really considering this for my next brew session?

Quote from 3PegBrew private message "It was amazing. It was identical but with a tad more sweetness."

I guess the extra sweetness was from the additional crystal malts not in the recipe. I'll be making the extract version of this using WLP028 and Willamette hops for the KG and Cluster for the Perle (it's what I have and is recommended subs on Howtobrew.com).

I emailed Founders yesterday (10/17/2017) and they said that the yeast strain is a proprietary strain that is similar to the Chico strain. So for us using 1056 or similar would suffice.

Back