priming with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle a variation of an old Papazian honey ale recipe and was thinking about using honey to prime. His classic book says 1/2 cup of honey for a 5 gallon batch, but given what I saw the honey do during primary fermentation, I'm concerned about blowing the bottles to smithereens! Anyone used honey for priming before? If so, how much and what did you think of the results?

Thanks!

I just did a honey brown and noticed an insane fermentation also so naturally I have the same concern about using it to prime. I'm curious to see if others have used it successfully.

I've used 3/8 cups (2oz) of corn sugar and 1/2 cup of honey to prime before. Didn't have any bombs. It does take longer to condition though.

thanks, do you recall how much longer to condition? i think this will take a long time to mellow out as the high alcohol has it tastin pretty green right now!

Honey is mostly fructose, anyways... give the bottle conditioning with honey 4 weeks instead of three.

i bottled last night with 1/2 cup of honey. this beer has come a long way over the last month--it was horrible 3 weeks ago when i racked it to the secondary. very very strong from the honey fermentation.

i'll follow up with how the 1/2 cup turned out...

Latest posts

Back