What form is recommended for Oxyclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I was wanting to get some Oxyclean to clean out some of my equipment. I saw that they have it in liquid form and powder form. I'm assuming that we want it in the powder form and non-scented. Is this correct?

Wow, until you mentioned it and I googled, I never heard of it in liquid form..guess that's something new...

Unless some people have gotten it ahead of the rest of the country, the answer is powdered unscented.

My question is:

What is the difference between PBW and Oxyclean? I used tom PBW last night and it seemed like I had to put an awful lot of powder in to make up 5 gallons. How long does it last?

My question is:

What is the difference between PBW and Oxyclean? I used tom PBW last night and it seemed like I had to put an awful lot of powder in to make up 5 gallons. How long does it last?

i agree that it does take way too much PBW. my first batch is still fermenting, but i used a 10 - 15 $ 1 pound jar of pbw and its almost gone already. a friend who brews some good stuff recommended oxyclean saying that it works just as well and is definitely waaaay cheaper

On the plus side, I filled up my old carboy with PBW the other night and when I came home from work the next day the neck was filled with a serious amount of "gunk". I could only assume was the almost invisible layer of film that had collected on the inside.

Sure enough, when I rinsed it out, the carboy was so better than brand new!! I was pretty amazed! I've cleaned with it, but never really soaked anything. I've got more stuff to try it out on.

On the plus side, I filled up my old carboy with PBW the other night and when I came home from work the next day the neck was filled with a serious amount of "gunk". I could only assume was the almost invisible layer of film that had collected on the inside.

Sure enough, when I rinsed it out, the carboy was so better than brand new!! I was pretty amazed! I've cleaned with it, but never really soaked anything. I've got more stuff to try it out on.

Probably would do the same with oxyclean, that stuff works wonders.

I think PBW and Oxyclean work similarly, they are both an oxygen cleaner. I know PBW has chelates in it which allows it to work in hard water a lot better than Oxyclean. I have a water softener though and oxyclean works great for me and never leaves any white residue I've read about.

I think PBW and Oxyclean work similarly, they are both an oxygen cleaner.

i tried oxy in a wine bottle that had some gunk in the bottom corner. it didn't clean it but when i put PBW in it, the chunks lifted right out.
only one anecdotal experience, but i'll be comparing them some more.
one difference i've noticed is that my jar of PBW hadn't been used in a while and has caked up from humidity and has to be scraped out.

Back