Tomorrow is my first bottling day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
Going to finally bottle my first brew tomorrow. Brewed it about 23 days ago. FG has been consistent.

What are the biggest things I need to remember for bottling? Sanitation? I was gonig to mess with the siphon tonight just to be familiar with it. I have a brew bucket. Gotta put the tap in that tonight. What are the other pitfalls?

I'm going to add the whisky/ and malto to the bottling bucket when I add the dissolved sugar.

hoping to condition for about 3 weeks.

Maltodextrin? Usually add that last 5 min of the boil.

find Revvy's bottling thread somewhere. He has great info on making it simple.

Biggest thing that I would add is to sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. Sanitize everything very well so that you do not introduce an infection and cause bottle bombs. I agree that you should practice with the siphon as I did that as well, but if you are anything like me, you will invest in an autosiphon as soon as your next batch is ready. Makes it much easier and cleaner. Make sure your bottles are clean and sanitized as well as the bottling bucket, tubing, wand and the bottle caps you plan to cap with and everything else that will touch the beer. You are in the home stretch but the hardest part is the next step...waiting until you can taste your first brew. Good luck!!!

I got an easier set up for those that have joint problems & can't stoop or reach over shoulder height. My bottling video is on youtube. Used to be on my profile page till they changed the software. My set up puts everything in arms reach. Free-n-easy. Certainly quicker with the bottle tree/vinator combo. And my lil trick for using a longer tube on the bottling wand with spigots on everything. Check it out! And no offense meant revvs.

I was just reading thru Revv's post good stuff there.

Thanks guys! hoping tonight to get everything set up and do a dry run... then tomorrow go at it.

Get everything sanitized and set up to go before racking into your bottling bucket.

I put a sanitaized cap over the bottle as soon as i fill it. Then i go back when i'm done and clamp them all down at the same time. This way nothing is finding its way into the bottles while i'm filling. Glad to hear you are adding whiskey, always a good combo !

I got an easier set up for those that have joint problems & can't stoop or reach over shoulder height. My bottling video is on youtube. Used to be on my profile page till they changed the software. My set up puts everything in arms reach. Free-n-easy. Certainly quicker with the bottle tree/vinator combo. And my lil trick for using a longer tube on the bottling wand with spigots on everything. Check it out! And no offense meant revvs.

How about a link since there are about 100 bottling videos on u tube. Mahalo

Back