Just had my first New Belgian Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
They started stocking New Belgium beers here at school this weekend. I picked up a Fat Tire and a Ranger IPA. I can honestly say I just wanted to see what the buzz was about...plus adding 2 new non-silk screened bombers to my empties-inventory for $3 a piece isn't bad either!

So I opened the Ranger IPA.

Wow Hop aroma was amazing. It poured with a beautiful head and the lacing was so intense the foam dried to the top of the glass when it was empty.

Now the taste...very hoppy. I meant VERY hoppy. It was a good beer but it was really really thin and I felt it was without ANY malt character. Not sure if it is because I love beer with a good malt backbone or what, but I thought it was WAY out of balance and the hops masked any malt character.

Overall it was a great beer, just not my cup of tea or one I would get again!

Its a definite west coast ipa. Mashed low, sugar added to make a dry beer that show cases the hops. For the style and at $9 a sixxer, a pretty damn good beer but not for malt lovers

Its a definite west coast ipa. Mashed low, sugar added to make a dry beer that show cases the hops. For the style and at $9 a sixxer, a pretty damn good beer but not for malt lovers

Yup I could tell it was a west coast IPA. It was a great beer, just not for me. I am not expecting to be blown away by the Fat tire but I had to get it for its reputation. But for $2.79 a bomber for 2 beers I would enjoy even if they aren't my favorites I am happy with them!

Some of my friends have asked me to point them to different beers to help them figure out different flavors. It used to be "Try a good oktoberfest to taste a maltier beer, and get a bottle of Sierra Nevada torpedo to taste a hop forward beer". I think Ranger IPA just replaced Torpedo for my hoppy recommendation!

Im a big hop guy so to me this is good stuff. Many people love fat tire, but all I get is biscuit. We all got different tastes which gives us so many options.

Latest posts

Back