Transfer under pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm trying to transfer my latest batch to a keg under pressure from my conical, but for the life of me I can't get the beer to drain into the keg. Here's what I did:

1. Filled a keg to the brim with water. Connected gas to the IN post and a ball lock liquid disconnect with tubing to the OUT. Pushed the water out using CO2... Result empty keg.
2. Next hooked up transfer hose from conical to OUT post on keg. Pulled the PRV on the keg and kept it open.
3. Hooked up CO2 to conical, turned gas on and expected beer to flow into keg. NOTHING!

I tried adding a gas disconnect on the IN post to help vent. No dice. In the end I had to go back to my old way and open the keg up, drop the hose to the bottom and fill under pressure.

This tells me the issue is with the liquid disconnect... I tried two different liquid disconnects, but nothing worked.

Any ideas?

That's pretty much how I ended up having to do it. It seems the ball lock liquid disconnects are only one-way? How do other folks do this without opening the keg back up?

The disconnects are not one way. I transfer from keg to keg all the time using the beer out post and a jumper hose with beer out disconnects on both ends. Something else is wrong.

The disconnects are not one way. I transfer from keg to keg all the time using the beer out post and a jumper hose with beer out disconnects on both ends. Something else is wrong.

I agree.

I keg from FV under CO2 pressure, and from keg to keg via the liquid ball lock fittings all the time. Not sure what the cause of your issue is.

I usually do my transfers as you describe, but sometimes the bev side disconnect plugs if I pick up some caked yeast or hops. I do a lot of dry hopping in the fermenter, so I've now been doing a lot of my transfers with an SS racking cane hooked to the fermenter and I now don't get plugged QD's.

Might need to loosen the post. Not sure the logic behind it but that worked for me once.

JonW - that probably explains it... this was a fairly heavily dry-hopped batch. I'll take apart the disconnect and see if that's caked up. At least I know the process is right for the next attempt! Thanks everyone.

Back