Great to live in the renaissance of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
I went to the grocery store tonight and counted a half dozen craft beers from Iowa on the shelf. Breweries like Peace Tree and Madhouse. As I was in my college years, you could get any beer at the grocery that you wanted as long as it was 3.2 Bud, Miller or Pabst. Great to live long enough to see the effects of the "noble experiment" fading away and local breweries producing different quality brews.

We went from one brewery in my area to 4 when the latest opens next month. I enjoy drinking from the more established craft brewers like rogue and Deschutes but nothing beats a great locally produced beer. I hope someday that every town will have a truly local brewery. Viva la revolution!

I think its great that we live in an era where we can ask a question at midnight and have someone answer in the matter of seconds, then again i wonder if it would just be better to have to have a friend over showing you and guiding you, comrodery is great in person, but ill take a forum over nothing. I love you guys! LOL

Yes, In Utah we have a small brewery called squatters/wasatch. I'm drinking one as we speak, they do a great job but they are only able to sell 3.2 in stores, go to thier brewery and get 6.0 and up go figure

Ditto!

I say a similar thing watching Breaking Bad or one of the other amazing shows available now: "we're living in the golden age of television!"

Ft. Wayne, IN has had a great history of breweries.
Up until prohibition we had probably two dozen or more.
The 60's-90's of cheep nasty beer killed off the remaining bigger breweries.
Berghoff - 1954
C.L. Cenrlivre/Old Crown - 1973
Falstaff - 1975/90
Fort Wayne Brewing - 1995
oyster bar brewery - 2003
Warbird brewing - 2009

we have two left.
Mad Anthony Brewing
Granite City (I think this is actually a chain restaurant...not sure if they brew on site)
Both of these are more eateries than Breweries.
I think the last few to close shows how hard it may be to not just start a micro brew but to keep one in business.

http://www.indianabeer.com/History/IH-FW.html

Back