is this a reasonable idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
making a screen that fits over top of my glasses for when my buddies/family is over. This way they just pop the screen on, pour the whole bottle (sediment and all) and then just shake the screen out over the sink on the bar. Im on my first brew so i dont know much about the sediment from the sugar. is it too fine to do that? thanks

I wouldn't. pouring through a screen will likely decarbonate the beer a bit.

are you buddies/family not able to pour slowly, and not pour the last half ounce?

To get all the sediment out you'd need something really fine, like a coffee filter. By the time you filtered the beer it would be flat and wouldn't taste right.

Why not just ferment long enough for much of the yeast to drop out, bottle carefully, give it time to settle out in the bottle and then do a proper pour and leave the sediment behind in the botles? It's really not hard to do.

i was thinking it would be easier to say pour through the screen..say there are 20 people over. Its easier than explaining why they have to pour all but the last ounce out. And also i figured you would get more liquid out and just leave behind sediment.

Yep, the sediment will flow right through it. I would guess that a cheese cloth would work better, but I wouldn't even try it. Just pour the bottles gently, and watch for the sediment. With a little practice, you'll be able to pour most of the bottle without getting any sediment.

this is a very rookie-ish question but thats what i am and I just to be clear. CO2 kegging goes in place of bottling and after fermenting the beer goes right into the tanks? then the co2 carbonates the beer.. no sediment. right?

You get sediment, but you can usually clear it in the first glass or two. After that, you get little to no sediment for the rest of the keg.

Another alternative to trying to teach all your friends how to pour a homebrew is to play bartender and pour it for them. That's usually what I do.

i like the alternative. then i can be sure my bottles are cleaned right after pouring

If you regularly have 20 people over drinking your beer, buy a keg. Not going to be fun watching people drink in 20 minutes what you spent 3 hours bottling and 3 weeks conditioning.

If you regularly have 20 people over drinking your beer, buy a keg. Not going to be fun watching people drink in 20 minutes what you spent 3 hours bottling and 3 weeks conditioning.

I strongly disagree. In fact, I say buy yourself a homebrew kegging system! Nothing better to me than having my friends and family say that they enjoy my beer. Except maybe when they actually show that theyre telling the truth when the go to pour another!

Hey, the more beer that gets drunked, the more you get to brew!
(Maybe a tip jar would be a good idea thought, if they start to take advantage of ya...)

I strongly disagree. In fact, I say buy yourself a homebrew kegging system! Nothing better to me than having my friends and family say that they enjoy my beer. Except maybe when they actually show that theyre telling the truth when the go to pour another!

(Maybe a tip jar would be a good idea thought, if they start to take advantage of ya...)

I think that's what mbart meant.

And I like your idea of a tip jar. I have a 5 gallon carboy that I've been putting my change in for years, and I've thought about moving it into my basement bar (when I ever get it built) and putting a sign on it saying "Beer Money, empty your pockets of change, pour yourself a beer."

Sorry......should have been more clear, that is what I meant!

Ahh okay now that I reread your post, you were emphasizing the time that it takes to bottle and condition. I thought you meant to go buy some BMC or some brewhaha.

I strongly AGREE then!:mug:

Back