Recarbing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmith1611

Reaction score
Is it possible to add more priming sugars to your beer if it turned out to have low carbonation out of the barrel?

Generally you don't recarb your beer once you have bottled it. How much corn sugar did you add? Also how long has it been sitting and at what temp? Last what style of beer? You may not have done anything wrong and just jumping the gun.

could the low carbonation be due to a 2/3 filled barrell as i bottled about a third. I added 80g of priming sugar for a 5gallon batch. The bottles are carbed perfectly but the barrell has very little carbonation. Its a dark ruby ale. It been sitting at room temp for 4 weeks

I'm not sure what the barrel is but in general if there is a bigger container it takes a bit longer for it to carbonate. So if this barrel is more then your 12 oz bottles even though your 12 oz bottles may be carbonated that doesn't mean that it will take the same amount of time for your barrel to be at the same level. Hopefully that makes sense. Let me know if that does.

Back