This had me thinking of brewing instead of work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muscleshoalsbrewer

Reaction score
I sat through a webinar yesterday and noticed that the product claims to be used by some breweries to help cut fuel cost and over all efficiency. The product is called Nansulate, and they claim that if applied to a boiler or transfer pipe (like 20 coats) that the surface temp of a boiling 400 degree boiler would only be 75 degrees! I wonder if you could use this technology on a kettle or SS mash/tun. here is the link

http://www.nansulate.com/

Good question. If it's affordable and can take a few dings/dents, then I think you've got a winner!

$89 is expensive, but lets face it, we all spend way too much money on ridiculous stuff for this hobby:D Go for it, let us know how it worked. Besides, the first time your kid grabs the side of a pot before you can notice, that $89 will have been well spent.

I'm not all that excited by it.

their video states

hot plate heated to 347
treated plate reaches 264
untreated plate reaches 295

not a huge diffrential. And their 'thin' coating is 7mil with 3 layers
no idea the cost but doubt that is cheap

still would love it for my mash keggle if it were effective
(cost effective is part of that)
wonder how it handles direct fire?

update: cost isn't as bad as i would have guessed.
anyone find a U value per layer?

$30 gets you enough 1" thick foam insulation from McMaster-Carr to wrap a keg. Gives you roughly the same R-value as a cooler. I used it on my mash tun.

Yeah, but it's unsightly. Reflectix is a little better, but it still looks really DIY. I'm pretty sure Wortmonger insulated his and then coated with rhino lining. That's another option.

Back