Using Spray Dry Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronc5150

Reaction score
I have a Munton's wheat beer mix (1.8 kg) and I have a 3 lb bag of Spray Dry Malt. How much of the spray dry malt should I use in the mix? The Muntons say use 2.2 lbs of sugar, so if I am using spray dry malt, do I use the same amount (2.2 lb)? If I use more than it calls for does it just make for a high alcohol content?

Thank you,
Aaron

I would use the entire package, because just by adding malt extract you are already changing the recipe (for the better, in my opinion).

Ah, I remember my first brew. It was a Munton's wheat beer kit as well, and I put in the sugar. It was beer, but it was not the best to be sure. But I drank it the quickest of any of my brews by far. Adding the spray malt will help out the flavor, and yes the additional .8lbs will add to the ABV, as well as potentially the final gravity.

I bought a 4oz bottle of Brewers Best "Blueberry" flavoring. Is it best to add this flavoring when I keg the beer?

Spray malt has the same sugar content as sugar. Replacing it 1 for 1 will give you the same OG, but will have a higher FG due to the unfermentability of some of the sugars in the malt. This will give more flavor and body to the beer.

Add the flavoring at bottling.

Latest posts

Back