forced VS. bottle cond'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I have never force carbonated before, but I'm going to be soon, and a thought just hit me....
IS there a noticeable difference (mouth feel, behavior of bubbles) between bottle conditioned beer and beer thats been forced carbonated in a keg?

some say larger bubbles in the forced beer and more of a CO2 bite.

You can do keg conditioning just like you do bottle conditioning.
just reduce the amount of primer you use for the batch.

orfy said:
some say larger bubbles in the forced beer and more of a CO2 bite.

And I've read on here that with priming in a keg there's more of a yeast bite.

I'm half and half on the subject, priming seems more 'natural' but forced seems to work just as well.

I've been force carbing my kegs since I've got my setup and haven't really had any problems.

denimglen said:
And I've read on here that with priming in a keg there's more of a yeast bite.

I'm half and half on the subject, priming seems more 'natural' but forced seems to work just as well.

I've been force carbing my kegs since I've got my setup and haven't really had any problems.
The yeast helps clean the brew and mellow off flavours, it settles and you normally find the first pint or so may have a bite along with the last.
It's only the same as bottle conditioning.

I don't like cold fizzy beer, some think I am strange for that though.

Cold fizzy beer for me depends on the style.

Obviously I wouldnt drink an BMC at 14C and with 1.8 volumes or a bitter at 1C at 3 volumes hence my kegerator being set at 10C seems to ok for me for most styles.

denimglen said:
Cold fizzy beer for me depends on the style.

Obviously I wouldnt drink an BMC at 14C and with 1.8 volumes or a bitter at 1C at 3 volumes hence my kegerator being set at 10C seems to ok for me for most styles.

That's a good compromise.
I prefer 13°C

I don't realy brew anything that would benifit <10°C

Fair enough, each to their own.

I haven't found any specific group of styles that I brew that benifit a specific group of temps. I find 10C works well as I aim to have two completely different styles on tap at the moment.

Anyways I've had a few too many of Edwort's Apfelweins and I'm making this go waaaaaaaaay :off:

Thanks for the replies' - and I hope the glossary has all of the terms you two just started throwing around. Whats a "Bitter" mean in this context?

good grief- I can't believe I didn't catch that. With all of the terms regarding conditioning that I'm new too- I missed it. It was hiding in plain sight.
Thanks!

The more patient you are with force carbing, the better the results IMO.

2 days at 30psi and shakig the keg....I'll pass on that unless its a beer-mergency
I prefer the 10-14 days of 'set it and forget it' method, around 10psi on my system.

I haven't noticed any difference, but I don't carbonate very heavily and rarely tap a keg before two months.

Back