cones only 10' down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpo

Reaction score
My bines are approx 30' tall. Last year (year 1) two of the cascades came down to about 5' off the ground, the other cascades only a little less. The chinooks last year only had a few hops. This year the cones are going like mad up at the tops of almost all 5 bines, but only a few have started below about the 16-18 foot mark above ground. Lower sections of the bines have a few new arms reaching here and there, but no cone burrs that I can see. The bines were from Hopfarmers rhizomes last year.

Is this common? Is my harvest just slow in coming? Am I being premature in my worries?

I am only about 340' lower in elevation than Paonia, and only 1 degree north latitude. From Hopfarmers video, my bines should have cones down to the floor, but they aren't.

Each string has 3 bines on it.

I will get pictures tonight if its necessary.

Kinda like they're growing up and becoming adults with the whole voice change thing. Each variety produces the brunt of the cones at certain locations along the vine. Some are restricted to the top portion and others produce further down the length of the vine. It takes about 3 years for most to begin to show their mature characteristics. Now go have a beer!

Now go have a beer!

Well said, my beer brewing friend! Well said!

I spend an afternoon in the "field" sipping on a beer now and then taking in the sights of pure magic happening in front of my nose. Guess I let another post in another thread let me get worried. 2 five gallon buckets would be awesome!

Latest posts

Back