• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pennsylvania All Electric 5G - 120v Single Tier HERMS Brew System/eBiab Options with Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarkinBanks

Reaction score
Hello HBT, it's been a while but the automated brewing bug has bit me again. I am selling my all electric 5 gallon 120v single tier HERMS brew system to design a new one. I built my original rig several years ago with the help of many kind members here when electric brewing was first coming of age. This system is as versatile as your mind can imagine. Want to brew a 15 min extract? Just use the HERMS vessel with the integrated chiller and cleanup is a snap. Want to brew eBIAB? Sure, drop your bag into the BK on the low density element and you are good to go. Want to brew a 1.090 beer? Fire up the full HERMS with PID control and fly or batch sparge. For your average gravity beers, I consistently hit 82% efficiency.

This system has 1500w elements so that you can use standard 120v electric, and all elements are grounded. The two LWD elements in the BK total 3000w and get a 1.3 gallon boil off rate. You can always throttle back one of the elements with the PID if you so choose. The HERMS vessel also has two LWD 1500w elements. The mash tun has a HD 1500w element to heat your mash water quickly and then turn it off when you mash in.

My PID/Pumps in a box are all wired to one plug with integrated switches so you can turn the pumps on and off independently. The PID receptacle is a GFI switch so you don't accidentally dry fire the element. The main pump is a March 809 that also has a purge valve built in. The secondary pump is a March AC-1A that I use to circulate the sparge water during mashing to prevent stratification and the sparge. Quick disconnects and valves are strategically placed to minimize hose changes on brew day. The Auberins PID has a 25A SSR with heat sink and the longer liquid tight TCs. No leaks anywhere.

For chilling, I am including my IC. I tested a shirron, a garden hose CFC, a chillzilla and eventually came back to my good old IC. I have a whirlpool option in the BK as well and found that the IC with whirlpool works best and is the best sanitary option in my opinion.

The single tier stand was custom built and is on casters. It can roll the entire system to your slop sink or you can clean in place. I brew in my basement and have a range hood that vents to the outside.

As a bonus, I am including two GE in-line timers to get your mash water started before you even wake up. Just add your water the night before, set the timers on the mash tun and the HERMS vessel and wake up to mashing in without a wait.

BK and MLT are 10 gallon megapots and the HERMS is an 8 gallon megapot.

I have over $2000 invested and have done many trials and personally I think a PID controlled HERMS system produces the most consistent results.

For this system, I offering it up at $850 with the stand included. I am located in the Philadelphia area and local pick-up would be best, but I do get good fedex shipping rates so shipping the kettles might be an option at your cost. I don't think I can ship the stand and would be happy to keep it for future projects.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

On to the pics:

Full system:

MLT:

HERMS:

TC on HERMS outlet

BK:

PUMPS/PID IN A BOX:

IC fits in the box

In-line timers

Individual prices if anyone is interested. I can ship all but the stand.

Stand $225
BK $125
MLT $150
HERMS $150
PUMPS/PID $200

Back