rust inside of keg, tips, tricks, to remove or should I return??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeLordBrewing

Reaction score
hey everyone I just purchased a whole enchilada kit from cornykeg.com comes with just about everything needed to start kegging. I purchased a converted ball lock keg (coca-cola but fitted with pepsi style connections). I know they are old and used but this thing has rust INSIDE!! I thought they were stainless but looks like there are areas where water may have sat for a while or something. it has about 6 different locations where there is some decent rust is there something I can use to remove the rust?? some type of chemical?? is this common?? I don't have to keg just yet so I have some time to take care of this.... but this stinks I guess they don't inspect the insides just pressure test and if it holds they ship, kind of disappointed in the company. the outside is beat up and scratched and also has some rust on it but that was expected and doesn't bother me. I verified that it is rust and not dried syrup on the inside of the keg.

should I attempt to remove rust?? or demand www.cornykeg.com to have it replaced (which prob means I have to eat the shipping to send it back to them). any help would be appreciated thanks in advance - Shawn

p.s. on the bright side of things it and the co2 tank fit into my kegerator with the addition of the collar on the door!! (last pic)

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

Yeah I would contact them about it. Send them the pictures. Make them cover shipping; they should have checked the kegs before sending them to a customer. Those are not fit to use for brewing.

Yes I would contact them and they should talk care of it. Here is the guarantee ffom there own website.

The CornyKeg.com Guarantee

"If you are unsatisfied for any reason with a product you purchase from us you may return it for a full and prompt refund of the original purchase price. In addition, if you find that any product shipped to you is defective or a product is shipped in error we will refund the purchase price and the shipping cost."

It should not be a problem if this is their policy.

Yeah, that should have been caught by them prior to shipping. They should cover it shipping and all.

thanks for all the replies, I tried calling (I always prefer talking to someone over the phone or in person versus email/text message) but the call went to a voice mail, left a message about an hour ago with no reply yet, (may have been closed at the time I called) so I left an email with company with links to the photos we"ll see what happens. just a waiting game now.

They will probably just send another, but if you do want to use it a good scrub with bar keepers friend will remove the rust. I had a keg that was worse than that. After a good scrub, and a 2 week soak in a double strength starsan, you can't even tell where the rust was.

Bill Merz/Cornykeg.com replied via email this morning. They are sending me another keg with a pre-paid shipping label to send this one back. I also inquired about having one sent with a manual pressure release valve with pull ring on it, and in my email said I would pay for the difference in price if there was one. They are shipping out the keg today with a manual pressure release at no charge to me, along with the pre-paid shipping label I must say that is customer service!!

cornykeg.com = amazing customer service!!!!!!! (pretty much got a new keg overnight) also sent me a lid with manual release valve at no charge and pre-paid label to send other keg back. cornykeg.com is a great company and I highly recommend them based off of customer service!! The new keg is in way better condition as well!!!!

I just ended up with a rusty keg this week myself. I'm hoping to take it back to the brewshop tomorrow, but I lost my receipt. Unfortunately Imight be stuck with a rusty keg.

I've seen picking gel to take rust out, but it's $60 a quart. Anything against a scotch pad and oxyclean?

I just ended up with a rusty keg this week myself. I'm hoping to take it back to the brewshop tomorrow, but I lost my receipt. Unfortunately Imight be stuck with a rusty keg.

I've seen picking gel to take rust out, but it's $60 a quart. Anything against a scotch pad and oxyclean?

Scotch Brite and Barkeepers Friend has worked well for me.

Scotch Brite and Barkeepers Friend has worked well for me.

That will work great, I also left the keg full of double strength starsan for a couple weeks as well and even the tiny dots of rust I couldn't reach are gone

Back