Keg Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
I was cleaning the outside of an acquired dog-ass dirty keg with a green scrubbie and some Barkeepers Friend powder and I thought to myself...you know I could probably clean this thing faster/better by mounting a scrubbie in my vibrating hand sander.

Works pretty good.

The answer in Phosphoric acid! I work in a metal shop and that ****e is handy. A little in water will do the trick. ie 2 teaspoons in 180 degree water will make old new! works wonders on cleaning copper as well.

The sanding sounds like a bit much to me but I also don't have any specific insight into it. To me, as long as the outsides look plain-old clean they are fine. 99.9% of the time they are either in the basement aging or in the kegerator anyway! The insides are what I worry about - cleaning out kegs is a royal PITA when you can't fit your arm all the way into them for a good scrub. I guess that's life though when your f'ing jacked. :D
(by the glorious anonymity of the internet, you all simply can't understand how not true that is)

Back