I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, dropped full keg while switching things around in my small Keezer. Broke a .5l swingtop flask of AppleJack, and 2 pints of yeast. Keg is fine.

20130802_135224.jpg

Damn, dropped full keg while switching things around in my small Keezer. Broke a .5l swingtop flask of AppleJack, and 2 pints of yeast. Keg is fine.

Man, that's a bummer! Glad you didn't get hurt from broken glass.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is AppleJack?

Man, that's a bummer! Glad you didn't get hurt from broken glass.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is AppleJack?

Applejack is an "iced" version for apple cider. It is a way to boost the alcohol content. At one point it was quasi-taboo here but now it seem ok to discuss. Basically you take something like Ed-Wort's Apfelwein freeze it, then thaw it upside down into another vessel. The alcohol will thaw first (along with intense apple flavor) leaving just frozen water behind. It is discussed in detail else where but that the basics.

Applejack is an "iced" version for apple cider. It is a way to boost the alcohol content. At one point it was quasi-taboo here but now it seem ok to discuss. Basically you take something like Ed-Wort's Apfelwein freeze it, then thaw it upside down into another vessel. The alcohol will thaw first (along with intense apple flavor) leaving just frozen water behind. It is discussed in detail else where but that the basics.

Ah yes, I've read a little about that process. Maybe someday I'll have to look in to it deeper.

It's almost time for me to make my annual apple cider, since my apple tree is almost ready to be picked. I might have to experiment with some...

This is not good. Did you lose your undo button? :)

Ah yes, I've read a little about that process. Maybe someday I'll have to look in to it deeper.

It's almost time for me to make my annual apple cider, since my apple tree is almost ready to be picked. I might have to experiment with some...
That reminds me, I need to bug my old manager about apples again. His tree always produces pretty much inedible green apples, but they make a great flavor in some cider.

Maybe I'll make another try at applejack this year. The last one didn't come out well. Bad cider makes even worse applejack.

This is not good. Did you lose your undo button? :)

That reminds me, I need to bug my old manager about apples again. His tree always produces pretty much inedible green apples, but they make a great flavor in some cider.

Maybe I'll make another try at applejack this year. The last one didn't come out well. Bad cider makes even worse applejack.

Yeah my tree is a grannysmith. The apples are great for baking, but they're not good for eating raw. They did make one of the best ciders I've ever had, though. I would describe it as the epitome of apple flavor.

Yeah my tree is a grannysmith. The apples are great for baking, but they're not good for eating raw. They did make one of the best ciders I've ever had, though. I would describe it as the epitome of apple flavor.
Not sure what his are. Small, green, to tart to eat or even really bake with. I think it's actually a decorative tree that happens to produce apples... They make some really fantastic cider though.

Hmm, that has me thinking about planting an apple tree. Fruit trees require a lot of work though. I'm not sure I'm going to want to mess with it that much.

I don't think I should try applejacking. Apfelwein gets me pretty hammered as it is:

Hour 0: "Hmmm...3 month old apfelwein, maybe I'll open a bottle".
Hour 1: *Clunk* "Mmm...delicious. Oh hell, it's early, one more bottle." *POP*
Hour 3: "I don't have to set the alarm tomorrow.." *POP*
Hour 4: "Show me the way to go home! I'm tired and I wanna go to bed...*HIC*"
Hour 5: "Where did all these bottles come from? And why does the floor keep swaying like that?"
Hour 6-17: <Blank Record>
Hour 17: "Ed Wort...you mother****er!"

I think I'll eat some lumpia first. Then I've got a few bottles of cider from last December. I should be ok with just one 12 oz, even if it is 15.5%.

Not sure what his are. Small, green, to tart to eat or even really bake with. I think it's actually a decorative tree that happens to produce apples... They make some really fantastic cider though.

Hmm, that has me thinking about planting an apple tree. Fruit trees require a lot of work though. I'm not sure I'm going to want to mess with it that much.

It may have been quince, my grandmother used to grow these, I though they were apples but way too sour

\http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quince

A friend of mine at work's Mom made a bunch for her wedding reception. She forgot to invite me and felt bad. So she brought me some that were leftover.

Ok lumpia consumed. I made some dipping sauce from some nectarine jam, soy sauce, and tabasco. I had some chocolate milk with it too. I think I'll wait a bit before starting in on the cider. Having the milk coagulate in my stomach doesn't sound like a great idea.

Hmmm...seems I've got a couple bottles of apple/pomegranate-blueberry around here somewhere. It's only 13.8%, but I did just have a 24oz Arrogant Bastard (love CA tap selections) with dinner. Oh, and the half glass of mine my wife couldn't drink because she's preggo.

It may have been quince, my grandmother used to grow these, I though they were apples but way too sour

Could be, I'll have to get a look at the tree some time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w4JGHB2o6I"]Icon For Hire - Off With Her Head [/ame]

I do have to be a little careful. I have to work tomorrow.

Ok lumpia consumed. I made some dipping sauce from some nectarine jam, soy sauce, and tabasco. I had some chocolate milk with it too. I think I'll wait a bit before starting in on the cider. Having the milk coagulate in my stomach doesn't sound like a great idea.

You need to work a bit on your food/beverage pairings there dude.

Ooooooooh. At 8 months the cider is good! Wonderful apple flavor, no apparent alcohol. Lots of heat going down though. It's so smooth.

Crabapples? Great for cider up to about 50% proportions.

Yeah, quince really should not be consumed raw. Candied quince is delicious though... fantastic paired with manchego cheese.

Could be, I'll have to get a look at the tree some time.

Cut one up into pieces and simmer it in sugar water to make a reduction/candy the fruit. If it's quince, it will turn a deep pink color.

Ah mislabeling is a wondrous thing. You put some of what you believe is pumpkin ale in to chill, and when you realize it's actually amber ale it turns out to be more satisfying anyway!

I'm getting into a habit of not eating all day, then having a few beers in the afternoon before dinner. Man am I a cheap date these days, boy :drunk: I really ought to have a little dinner first, but it sure makes for a quick happy buzz. SWMBO is at the store getting pork chops which I'll fire up on the grill, hopefully soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
My India Brown Ale is done carbing and I think it's the best beer I've done to date. I accidentally doubled the dry hops, which left me short (so I thought) of willamettes so I made up the difference (so I thought) with some Citra. Best brewstake I've made in a long time.

Mustard Beer marinated chicken breast and garlic red potatoes. Jack Daniel's chips for smoke.

image-3171531346.jpg

My India Brown Ale is done carbing and I think it's the best beer I've done to date. I accidentally doubled the dry hops, which left me short (so I thought) of willamettes so I made up the difference (so I thought) with some Citra. Best brewstake I've made in a long time.

Mustard Beer marinated chicken breast and garlic red potatoes. Jack Daniel's chips for smoke.

View attachment 139455

I never get tired of photos of BBQ and beer.

You gotta love it when a "brewstake" turns out to be a fantastic thing. I've done that once or twice. Your Indian Brown sounds delicious!

Today I brewed up my house IIPA called Dust Devil. I'm entering it in to a contest at an upcoming beer fest in September. It will be my first time competing. It was a long brew day. 2 hour mash, 105 minute boil, and 30 minute hop stand, but all worth it. It's definitely one of my best recipes. I love it so much that I almost hate to give up the 4 bottles required for the competition.

Right now I'm drinking one of my last 3 bottles of hard cider from a year ago. My apple tree is almost ready for harvest, so I'll be brewing this cider again in about 2 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG-20130803-00120.jpg
    IMG-20130803-00120.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 52
Crabapples? Great for cider up to about 50% proportions.

Yeah, quince really should not be consumed raw. Candied quince is delicious though... fantastic paired with manchego cheese.

Cut one up into pieces and simmer it in sugar water to make a reduction/candy the fruit. If it's quince, it will turn a deep pink color.
Well, the reason I'm not sure is the size. They are a little more then twice what I usually see for crab apples. They could just come from a tree that gets a lot of water though.

I don't really think they are quince. I've cleaned a lot of apples, and these seem like apples to me.

I'm leaning toward granny smith, but not being taken care of at all. That, and being picked when they are a little unripe. The fruit he has brought me has always been bruised, and/or has a lot of worms in it. It takes a while to get it all cleaned up and usable.

I usually make the cider from just regular apple juice and sugar. I use the green apples as a flavoring really. They go in secondary for a couple weeks with some pectin enzyme to bump up the apple flavor.

Need to shut this thing off and go to sleep, have to be up in 6 hours. I went to a couple funky/sour beer things today and got to try about 20 beers I hadn't had before. Definitely got some palate fatigue there late. I think about my recipes a lot before I even start to right them down. I was already mulling over a couple more complicated beers and now I've got a lot to think about from everything I've tried today. I'm not even buzzed at this point or drinking beer! Just drinking water and thinking about beer.

And thinking about a new mash tun. I killed my cooler finally. Would really like something big enough to do higher grav 10 gallon batches. I saw someone in Asheville post a 70qt rectangular cooler with a short braid and stainless 3 pc valve for $50. I'm not a huge fan of using coolers as mash tuns due to possible chemical leaching. I've got a keg with the top cut already, but every time I look at parts online I get overwhelmed. I guess the easiest thing would be to order a weldless fitting, valve, and nipple and call it good enough for now.

Back