Determing the beers life span

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a very thorough and methodical system for testing the life expectancy of beers. Please send them all to me and I will happily perform the study and send you my full analysis. :D

I see high alc% and they got 9 months and others have up to 5 years at cellar temp.

Nothing really telling me what beer and how long its good for.

Sample the batch on a regular basis and when it no longer tastes good its past its prime.
I think most home brew stored at cool temps (60-70F) is good for at least 6months to a year.
High gravity brews (>6%ABV) are going to be good longer.
Big beers are usually best after 6months to a year or more.
Now storage in a garage in the summer is going to shorten the life span considerably. Storage at refrigerator temps (32-40F) is going to extend the life span and slow the aging.
Craig

Most of my middle-gravity beers tend to taste rather stale and astringent after 5 or 6 months--I usually try to keep a few around just to watch 'em die, to learn more about the process. I think it also really depends on how many mistakes you made in the brewing process.

An exception to big beers having long lives: hoppy goes away rather quickly, unless you keep them chilled. I have some $15/fifth IPAs that are nothing but monster bitters after 12 months.

WAH!

david_42 said:
An exception to big beers having long lives: hoppy goes away rather quickly, unless you keep them chilled. I have some $15/fifth IPAs that are nothing but monster bitters after 12 months.

WAH!

so the hop flavor and aroma fades but the bitterness does not? i was under the impression that the bitterness fades with time as well

Back