Backing up Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC0032

Reaction score
I searched and didnt find what I was looking for and Beersmiths site has the following:

How can I Backup My Recipes?

First, select the My Recipes directory in BeerSmith. Next use the Export command on the File menu to export the entire recipes directory to an external location. Use BeerSmith file format (*.bsm) for the export.

What I want to do it take everything: Inventory, Equipment and recipes. I see how to do the recipes but not the entire instance.

Anyone know if its possible?

Or if you want just the recipes, copy recipes.bsm somewhere.

+1 to copying the whole directory though. I picked up that idea from someone a year or so ago, and I can run it off my thumb drive on any PC. (mumbling...now where did I leave that d@mn thing...):D

It is the Recipe.bsm file but on a Vista OS system that file is not under the BeerSmith directory. I found it under C:/user/<your user name>/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/BeerSmith This is the directory that keeps all the updates to BeerSmith files.

It is the Recipe.bsm file but on a Vista OS system that file is not under the BeerSmith directory. I found it under C:/user/<your user name>/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/BeerSmith This is the directory that keeps all the updates to BeerSmith files.

FYI - both Vista and Windows 7 use the VirtualStore location as the folders under "Program Files" is considered protected and you cannot write new files there. Personally, this is fine for most apps, but for BeerSmith, I want to be able to run it from multiple machines without having to mess with syncing the files. To do this, I moved the whole installation to "My Documents\BeerSmith" and deleted the install in "Program Files" and the VirstualStore.

Because I run a home server, this then gives me built in backup/redundancy by having a copy on the local machine as well as the server. I can also VPN into my server and run it remotely from work. While doing it this way, I never have to sync a file anywhere.

FYI - both Vista and Windows 7 use the VirtualStore location as the folders under "Program Files" is considered protected and you cannot write new files there. Personally, this is fine for most apps, but for BeerSmith, I want to be able to run it from multiple machines without having to mess with syncing the files. To do this, I moved the whole installation to "My Documents\BeerSmith" and deleted the install in "Program Files" and the VirstualStore.

Because I run a home server, this then gives me built in backup/redundancy by having a copy on the local machine as well as the server. I can also VPN into my server and run it remotely from work. While doing it this way, I never have to sync a file anywhere.

I do the same, but to a USB stick or two, so that I can run it on any PC I want. Great way to have my brewing information with me at a moments notice. :D

Back