WLP410 Low attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikelso

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd batch of belgian white with WLP410, the Platinum series of belgian white yeast offered by White Labs. The website says attenuation is 70-75%.

My first batch was an AG concoction that started at 1.046 and ended at just shy of 1.016, Giving attenuation in the 65% range. My current batch (yeast pitched from the cake on the original, mini mash) started at 1.048 and after 7 days in a primary is sitting at 1.018 for only about 61-62% attenuation.

Has anyone else used this yeast and had this same problem? I don't have much hope for my current batch hitting the terminal of 1.010 that I'm shooting for.

Let me know if you've used it and gotten good results. I'm weary of using the yeast I've washed that's in my fridge now until I hear good things about this strain.

I just brewed a batch of wit beer with WLP410 and it's finally gotten down to 1.014 from 1.047 after two weeks. I just kegged it, but am going to keep it at room temp for another day or two to see if I can get it down to 1.012. Definitely a slow worker, and this was even with fermenting at 71 degrees. Hopefully the results will make it worth the extra time and trouble.

Ok, somewhat glad it's not just me. The first batch I checked after 8 days, left it in another 3 days and checked again and it was the same gravity. After racking and waiting another 3 days I checked and it had fallen ever so slightly but not a full point.

I don't have an airstone... wondering if my stirring generated enough oxygen. MNDan, did you oxygenate your wort and still had this slow attenuation?

Even worse than I thought. I didn't correct the 1.016 reading, it's really 1.018. It hasn't moved much since my original post 3 days ago either. It was sitting right on the 1.016 line rather than just right above 1.016. Taste is a little sweeter than I'd like for this strain too. Oh well, won't go back to buying it, but I'll use the remaining bit in the fridge soon on something off the wall.

Yes, I also have been repitching this yeast while trying to perfect my wit. I will be brewing my third batch with it this weekend and both of the previous batches with it finished above 1.015. I doubt I will buy this strain again, I prefer the other wit strain that is offered year round.

Back