Leaking Pressure Relief Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
I've got two kegs that are leaking co2 from the pressure relief valves. I cleaned them with a tooth brush and some oxyclean, but still no luck. Any way to fix them or am I forced to spend 15$/ea for new ones???

What pressure are the kegs under? It looks as though you might just have to replace the valves, although it's strange that both kegs are experiencing this problem.

Kegs were under 20lbs of pressure. Only one of the kegs out of this set is leaking, but I had another one do the same thing spring. I couldn't ever get that one to quit leaking either.

there are ways to replace that valve at least on most kegs. do a little googling (it varies between corny's, firestones, and the couple little off-shoot brands). I think it unscrews, and you can buy a new relief valve.
there's also a gasket for it from the looks of it.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG_PARTS_C78.cfm?Page=2 - just one of many places you can get replacement parts.

I've had problems with pressure reliefs, but so far, soaking them overnight in Beer Line Cleaner fixed them. I do have a couple where I have to push down on the ring to get the valve seated.

Ive got them soaking right now, and I'll try switching them around when I get back next week. Hopefully it will work. The cheapest I have found replacements for is 12 bucks. Thats darn near 1/2 the price of a whole new keg.

My LHBC buys used kegs by the pallet load and parts out the ones that are damaged and/or don't hold pressure, so my spare relief valve was only $5. I may have to use it. I have a keg that pops at 20 psi and it's getting worse.

Latest posts

Back