shape of cones when harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
I have a Cascade plant that is in its first year. Grew about 12-14 feet tall. The hops cones are about the size of an acorn. They aren't closed and firm like a lot of the cones I see in photos (like a young pine-cone), instead they are opened up and look almost like blooming flowers. I've watched them day after day, and they aren't closing up or changing, just getting slightly larger but still wide open. Should these be harvested? Are they going to close up, or are they a first year batch that will not be usable?

Here are photos I 'borrowed' from other posters to show what I mean, these are not my hops. Most cones I see are closed like a pine-cone in the bottom photo, yet mine are all open like a flower in the top photo. These are first-year Cascades. The vine doesn't seem to be growing any more, and I want to pick them soon if they are going to be worthwhile and usable.

open.JPG

closed.JPG

My first and second year cascades had the same size and shape. They were still usable and made a really good beer. Now in my third year the cones have become slender and are fully developed..That last sentence made me feel dirty.

My first year cascade looked the same. I assumed it's because the growth was more in the roots and over the next two years they'll turn into what I see others have.

That top picture is of still immature cones. They do look a little open as when they are small but as they grow they form the shape in the bottom picture.

As first year hops they may not form full cones. I would wait as long as possible to see if they do though. If the petals start to turn brown at the tips you know they have done all they can.

As for use, you can, but you will have no idea what the AA % is, it will undoubtedly be lower than the average published in brewing software and such. So I would not put them in an expensive beer as the results may not be what you where aiming for. But it will still be fun to throw them in something you could call My Hopped Ale.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input. I may use them for aroma in an ale coming up after I dry them. I was not expecting anything much this first year, just getting the plant in the ground and healthy, maybe I'll split off a couple more plants from it.

After I do harvest the cones, and fall sets upon us, do you cut the vine back to the ground for winter?

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input. I may use them for aroma in an ale coming up after I dry them. I was not expecting anything much this first year, just getting the plant in the ground and healthy, maybe I'll split off a couple more plants from it.

After I do harvest the cones, and fall sets upon us, do you cut the vine back to the ground for winter?

yes. In commercial yards they cut the bines when they harvest. But I figure on mine since I can pick the hops without cutting I might as well let the bine continue to supply energy to the root system as long as possible. When frost hits the bine will die so it can be cut off at that time.

Latest posts

Back