CPVC Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy63

Reaction score
Have a question that has been bothering me for a bit. Am doing a little "plumbing" with a conical fermenter. Want to extend bottom drain a bit and place another valve. Can't find Stainless valve around here; only brass. Everyone says to use "food grade" cement or epoxy.

Questions:

1. How do I know the cement or epoxy is "Food Grade??" What do I look for on the container??

2. If brass valve is at bottom and only used to drain dead yeast and trub, will it hurt???

Thanks, I know you all will have the answers!!!
---------------------
Tim

Never heard of a food grade pvc cement. All I have ever seen is just pvc cement which is used everday to assemble water supply lines. Is this a trick question?

Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Here I was reading his last post and thinking " PVC cement IS some strong stuff ! Wonder if it'd be safe?" . Completely forgot that I used it to plumb my well and waterlines without worrying about the family. I guess beer is a more serious issue. :D

Now I truly feel like an idiot!! I have a pretty good construction background and just wasn't thinking!!!!! I have never had and undrinkable batch and I just didn't want to make something that would have a nasty taste from something I had "rigged" up! O.K. guys, don't laugh too hard and spray good homebrew all over the place!!!

Back