WLP007 Flocculating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I just pitched a starter of WLP007 into a full batch. I let the starter ferment about 24 hours then chilled it for a couple days. I took it out of the fridge at the beginning of my brew day. Before I pitched it, I decanted off the starter beer and used some of my brew wort to swirl the yeast off the bottom of the starter vessel. The problem is that I was not able to get the yeast chunks to break up very much and there are some rather large chunks in my beer. Is this a problem? This is the 1st time I've used WLP007 and only the 2nd time I've used a decanted starter.

Shouldn't be a problem. I love that yeast, and it does floc really well. Usually looks like cottage cheese when I clean out the trub from the fermenter.

That yeast is a beast. Make sure you run a blowoff! Sucker blew the lid off my fermenting bucket in a 90min clone. It flocs like crazy, too. I really had to make sure I shook the snot out of my decanted started just to stir up the cake enough to get it into the fermenter.

Back